Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

58 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Word reaching NDP that the Steam Packet are strongly considering reducing the Manxman service to one journey (return service) per day.

Simply not viable as a 4 sailing schedule.

It now brings all the mail, parcels & newspapers on overnight sailing so doubt that would happen.

6 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Word reaching NDP that the Steam Packet are strongly considering reducing the Manxman service to one journey (return service) per day.

Simply not viable as a 4 sailing schedule.

Seesm like they are already getting close to that with cancellations anyway.

Hence the larger capacity and crew living on board. Wonder if it'll be out at 8 in the morning and back at 8 in the evening?

Guess it'll give them the ability to postpone a sailing by 4 hours without affecting the rest of the schedule though a cancelled sailing will put them in entirely the wrong port for the next day's sailings. 

No wonder there is talk about changing the user agreement.

So we've spent north of £160m (£70m Liverpool Terminal, £6.5m Edward Pier & £84m for the Manxman) to get 50% of the service and have yet to hear the cost of the new fastcraft to repalce the Mannanin.

Bargain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Banker said:

It now brings all the mail, parcels & newspapers on overnight sailing so doubt that would happen.

Well the post is down to 5 days a week and they can't even deliver the manx papers to the boat on time so would the service suffer in any way in reality? Would we notice a difference?

12 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Seesm like they are already getting close to that with cancellations anyway.

Hence the larger capacity and crew living on board. Wonder if it'll be out at 8 in the morning and back at 8 in the evening?

Guess it'll give them the ability to postpone a sailing by 4 hours without affecting the rest of the schedule though a cancelled sailing will put them in entirely the wrong port for the next day's sailings. 

No wonder there is talk about changing the user agreement.

So we've spent north of £160m (£70m Liverpool Terminal, £6.5m Edward Pier & £84m for the Manxman) to get 50% of the service and have yet to hear the cost of the new fastcraft to repalce the Mannanin.

Bargain.

Massive exaggeration on the first line there.

The twice a day came along with the Ben as a byproduct of combining freight and passenger services. It helped out with the limited passenger accommodation on the Ben too. Prior to 1998 the King Orry and her post-merger predecessors made one return trip in winter for most of the week which was perfectly adequate. Presumably they could go back to that pattern with the Arrow doing freight only runs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, woolley said:

Massive exaggeration on the first line there.

The twice a day came along with the Ben as a byproduct of combining freight and passenger services. It helped out with the limited passenger accommodation on the Ben too. Prior to 1998 the King Orry and her post-merger predecessors made one return trip in winter for most of the week which was perfectly adequate. Presumably they could go back to that pattern with the Arrow doing freight only runs.

So we are going backwards by 25 years or so then. Explains a lot.

1 minute ago, CallMeCurious said:

So we are going backwards by 25 years or so then. Explains a lot.

Not really. As I said, the additional night passenger sailing was a BYPRODUCT of combining freight with passengers on one vessel with limited accommodation. It was never justified as a standalone service and is often extremely sparsely patronised. If it is now more viable to do one return sailing on a larger vessel it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I still remember Five yes Five Steam packet boats berthed in the harbour. Utilising both piers and the original(sorry the one that worked before this one) Manxman.

Glad you qualified that. Original SPCo Manxman last berthed in the harbour in 1939, and I didn’t have you down as old as that.

i remember seeing photos with 7 in early 60’s including Liverpool & North Wales SS ship. Usually a Sunday afternoon. And definitely remember three deep berthing and having to clamber ship to ship to shore when I was a child.

8 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

I think you could be a bit shy on the Liverpool Terminal !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asitis said:

I think you could be a bit shy on the Liverpool Terminal !

Chris Thomas was on FB yesterday proclaiming £80M. I think he's a bit shy on that too...

• Like 3