Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

35 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I wonder what the low carbon fuel options are? I can only think of hydrogen or masts and sails

Galley oars - and a guy at the front with a kettle drum...

"Ramming speed!!"

Edited by Jarndyce
visuals

26 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Committee taking evidence from the Steampacket now: 

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/listen

For anyone not listening:

They want to get rid of the Ben and have the arrow as backup. No passenger backup.

Liverpool cannot take freight as the terminal wasn't designed for it. 

Live onboard is required so the ship can shelter at sea. Although every other boat has sheltered in Douglas?

56 minutes ago, cissolt said:

They want to get rid of the Ben and have the arrow as backup. No passenger backup.

Live onboard is required so the ship can shelter at sea. Although every other boat has sheltered in Douglas?

Anything said about LCC's part in imposing restrictions on freight going through there, that was known about from the get-go?

Would the boat sheltering at sea arise from from inadequate sheltering being available for a ship of that size at Douglas harbour?

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Would the boat sheltering at sea arise from from inadequate sheltering being available for a ship of that size at Douglas harbour?

it shelters at sea because it would pull the harbour wall over if it was moored and was getting blown

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cissolt said:

Isn’t it so it can shelter off Heysham if necessary for a while before docking rather than returning to Douglas if any issues with heysham, also quicker turnaround times if necessary 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Anything said about LCC's part in imposing restrictions on freight going through there, that was known about from the get-go?

No nothing about LCC, the issue was stated as the terminal wasn't designed to allow freight so freight would not be going through Liverpool.  Heysham only for freight.

Also of interest was the topic of 'green fuel'.  Brian said that the prospect of using affordable eco marine fuel was multiple years away and isn't on the horizon at all.  

5 hours ago, cissolt said:

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

1 hour ago, WTF said:

it shelters at sea because it would pull the harbour wall over if it was moored and was getting blown

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Isn’t it so it can shelter off Heysham if necessary for a while before docking rather than returning to Douglas if any issues with heysham, also quicker turnaround times if necessary 

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

No nothing about LCC, the issue was stated as the terminal wasn't designed to allow freight so freight would not be going through Liverpool.  Heysham only for freight.

Also of interest was the topic of 'green fuel'.  Brian said that the prospect of using affordable eco marine fuel was multiple years away and isn't on the horizon at all.  

My recollection is that both the long lease from Peel Ports and the planning restrict freight use to protect the high end dockland residential developments from the light, visual, and noise pollution of three hours marshalling,  twice a day.  so it was designed to not be suitable for freight, except on limited occasional emergencies. And emergencies will be difficult as they won’t have tugmasters and stevedores hanging about.

As for live on board, up until now the SPCo have maintained that this was needed so that if Heysham, or Douglas, were untenable, or impossible to enter or leave safely, the boat could do a single run, stay in one or other for 12 hours, and have a new crew in hours, especially Heysham. They were claiming they’d be able to squeeze in extra sailings.

They've never produced the stats, and I’ve always doubted it. How many sailings have been cancelled ex Douglas, because they couldn’t have returned within safe sailing/harbour entry protocols?

So these are new excuses.

Having a second crew on board, but off duty, will not speed up turn round time. They’re either on duty, or off. 

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

My recollection is that both the long lease from Peel Ports and the planning restrict freight use to protect the high end dockland residential developments from the light, visual, and noise pollution of three hours marshalling,  twice a day.  so it was designed to not be suitable for freight, except on limited occasional emergencies. And emergencies will be difficult as they won’t have tugmasters and stevedores hanging about.

It's certainly ironic.  The 'docklands' built for handling freight originally.  I can understand it up-river, but the area closer to the rivermouth is more industrial.  I guess they're trying to gentrify there too?

Are stevedors still a thing?  I thought they died out with the invention of shipping containers. 

10 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

It's certainly ironic.  The 'docklands' built for handling freight originally.  I can understand it up-river, but the area closer to the rivermouth is more industrial.  I guess they're trying to gentrify there too?

Are stevedors still a thing?  I thought they died out with the invention of shipping containers. 

1. They’re already built and gentrified. River side of Waterloo Road up to Jesse Hartley Way.

2. Certified Tugmaster Operators are also referred to as stevedores.

IMG_5506.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

As for live on board, up until now the SPCo have maintained that this was needed so that if Heysham, or Douglas, were untenable, or impossible to enter or leave safely, the boat could do a single run, stay in one or other for 12 hours, and have a new crew in hours, especially Heysham. They were claiming they’d be able to squeeze in extra sailings.

They've never produced the stats, and I’ve always doubted it. How many sailings have been cancelled ex Douglas, because they couldn’t have returned within safe sailing/harbour entry protocols?

So these are new excuses.

Having a second crew on board, but off duty, will not speed up turn round time. They’re either on duty, or off. 

The whole session was very interesting.  It's a shame someone can't ai voice to text this meetings and publish them for the masses.  I might actually do it myself if I can dust off my computer skills

4 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The whole session was very interesting.  It's a shame someone can't ai voice to text this meetings and publish them for the masses.  I might actually do it myself if I can dust off my computer skills

The evidence sessions are transcribed.

5 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Of course that's exactly what they do do for Hansard, but while it used to be that even Committees (which were seen as the least urgent) would normally be put out in text  "within 10 working days of the hearing" while publication targets for the completed final Hansards are as follows: 

• House of Keys – before 5 p.m. on Friday the same week;
  • Legislative Council – before 5 p.m. on Friday the same week;
  • Tynwald Court, first day – before 5.30 p.m. on Monday the following week.

In reality nothing has yet been published for any of the March sessions, while the most recent Committee available is from early December.  Again the more people they employ, the longer it takes them to do even the most basic stuff.

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Of course that's exactly what they do do for Hansard, but while it used to be that even Committees (which were seen as the least urgent) would normally be put out in text  "within 10 working days of the hearing" while publication targets for the completed final Hansards are as follows: 

• House of Keys – before 5 p.m. on Friday the same week;
  • Legislative Council – before 5 p.m. on Friday the same week;
  • Tynwald Court, first day – before 5.30 p.m. on Monday the following week.

In reality nothing has yet been published for any of the March sessions, while the most recent Committee available is from early December.  Again the more people they employ, the longer it takes them to do even the most basic stuff.

Also I'm sure most people would be satisfied with a 95% accurate (or whatever) AI transcription available the same week, with a corrected transcription to follow whenever is convenient.