Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Get one Newspaper Group to transmit and print their papers over here and they would 'clean up'???

when the new isle of Man newspapers  building on Peel road opened several years ago  I understand  the printing presses were paid for by government   ,to enable newspapers and printed material to be produced here , 

I wonder what happened to it all when the newspapers sold out  ?  or is it rotting away somewhere 

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

when the new isle of Man newspapers  building on Peel road opened several years ago  I understand  the printing presses were paid for by government   ,to enable newspapers and printed material to be produced here , 

I wonder what happened to it all when the newspapers sold out  ?  or is it rotting away somewhere 

You understand from whom? Man down pub or Facebook?

1 hour ago, Banker said:

You understand from whom? Man down pub or Facebook?

To be fair to Omobono, it was some time ago and the Govt were not averse to giving subsidies.

The machinery is probably way out of date to do the transmit and print as above but that's not a reason to denigrate Omos' views?

I'm not investing so I've nothing to lose/gain, let those who would, consider it???

4 hours ago, Omobono said:

Planning permission to erect the current building was in 1994.  Yer gettin old, fella.

Printing of the local papers there ceased in 2012, so if there was a grant/loan for new machinery (and there might well have been) it would probably have lapsed by then and there would be no need to repay after 18 years.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link

17 hours ago, Omobono said:

Sold, 10 years ago, removed off Island.

Isn't the printing hall now storage for Raj/oddbins?

I see Manx Radio is reporting  "The chair of the organisation has admitted the public's perception of the vessel is that it's 'unreliable' but says the board was expecting more issues to have arisen than did.

Does this mean that there is yet more to go wrong with the boat, harbour(s) + service over the comming year ?

There's always a bedding in time for anything mechanical, especially something as large and with so many systems as a ship, plus familiarisation and safety requirements. I don't personally think that MXN is unreliable from that point of view.

However it's important not to confuse and combine those due processes with any failings that have arisen due to issues with ports and infrastructure that may not have been considered during the ship's procurement process.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

The cancellation of the mail plane must be having an adverse financial effect on the Newspaper distributor G.E.White and a drip down effect on Newsagents.

Well GE Whites can always charter their own planes if they want!!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Well GE Whites can always charter their own planes if they want!!

A lot of people fed up with no or late papers have gone digital. Newspapers I heard are down 20%. Printing on island vs freight charges. Freight charges are way cheaper. That’s why even the Courier is printed off island. 

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Sold, 10 years ago, removed off Island.

Isn't the printing hall now storage for Raj/oddbins?

Yes full of stuff for the oddbins that never materialised

• Like 1