Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

22 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

He doesn't seem to understand.

I understand that we had a larger ship coming which needed port work to accommodate it. What I find less easy to understand is why it was not dovetailed in to coincide with our new vessels arrival ! Thus negating the costs and inconvenience of it sitting out at sea.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Banker said:

It was stupid to send it out, but they probably knew that and had to balance any decision against all the grief they get from social media experts when they cancel sailings.

The world was a better place before social media.  Stuff just happened quietly and people didn’t obsess about things that don’t impact them and aren’t any of their concern.

I would hate to be in the public eye these days.

• Like 3

At least on this occasion they have expanded on the ''operational reasons'' to point out the damage and engine problem. Honesty!!!

Could the Govt learn some lessons???

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

It was stupid to send it out, but they probably knew that and had to balance any decision against all the grief they get from social media experts when they cancel sailings.

The world was a better place before social media.  Stuff just happened quietly and people didn’t obsess about things that don’t impact them and aren’t any of their concern.

I would hate to be in the public eye these days.

If the reason they sailed was indeed social media pressures, then the captain needs firing and the company shutting down. (BTW I don't believe this for one minute ). The islands transport has seen the effects of commercial pressure very close to home. If as you alliterate it was "stupid to send it out" then that should be the subject of concern.

As you say social media experts should have no bearing on operational safety, that being said people are entitled to air their views. 

4 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Yes, before Facebook existed no one knew or cared if the boat sailed or not. /sarcasm

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OldhamJ said:

Not very good when the sailings info switches over to the next day's sailings at midnight, even though the Liverpool boat hasn't yet arrived and people will be logging on to check ETA !!

It does seem to have left for Dublin 20 minutes ago so assuming arrived safely