Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

I've always been a huge supporter of the SPCo but I have to admit to being tested lately. 

I paid £134 as a foot passenger to Liverpool last week, despite booking three weeks in advance. Quite frankly that's an outrageous fare. They are determining the success or failure of every event which involves travel to and from the island and are undermining the place. 

There are moves to cut services by changes to the user agreement under the popular excuse of lowering their carbon footprint! Does this sound like the actions of the 'Island's lifeline?' 

There doesn't appear to be any joined up strategy to improve either tourism or the service to the local community. I'm rapidly becoming disenchanted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

37 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I've always been a huge supporter of the SPCo but I have to admit to being tested lately. 

I paid £134 as a foot passenger to Liverpool last week, despite booking three weeks in advance. Quite frankly that's an outrageous fare. They are determining the success or failure of every event which involves travel to and from the island and are undermining the place. 

There are moves to cut services by changes to the user agreement under the popular excuse of lowering their carbon footprint! Does this sound like the actions of the 'Island's lifeline?' 

There doesn't appear to be any joined up strategy to improve either tourism or the service to the local community. I'm rapidly becoming disenchanted.

Just been charged the same for Mrs PT to go as foot passenger end of May. As much as I have been supportive of th IOMSPC, a 158% increase is disgusting 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

8 hours ago, Max Power said:

I booked to Liverpool 2 weeks ago, one way in a couple of day's time, £26.50. Is there a forthcoming event that would cause the prices to be hiked?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Max Power said:

Our crossing out and return after TT in June is £762.00 ! I guess someone has to pay for the debt the operation is potentially loaded with now !

45 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I booked to Liverpool 2 weeks ago, one way in a couple of day's time, £26.50. Is there a forthcoming event that would cause the prices to be hiked?

Of course there is, it's the TT feeding frenzy. I wouldn't have a problem with that if residents who have no choice but to use the service weren't caught up in the cross hairs !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Max Power said:

i can't believe you were enchanted in  the first place.

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Our crossing out and return after TT in June is £762.00 ! I guess someone has to pay for the debt the operation is potentially loaded with now !

Well I paid £310 return for car & 2 passengers mid July a few months ago and think it’s a bargain price considering the fortune airlines charge for bags.

In fact above fare for any length return is still only £340 or £278 for 5 days return.

Edited by Banker

The way the pricing is going it would be cheaper to book car two passengers, then turn up at dock say car has broken down but will be going any way. Will just go down ramp with a steering wheel in hand making brum brum sounds and arguing with the missus for greater authenticity.   😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Of course there is, it's the TT feeding frenzy. I wouldn't have a problem with that if residents who have no choice but to use the service weren't caught up in the cross hairs !

TBH, I was responding to Max's post above, I don't understand why he's been stung when he's booked so far in advance.

Residents wanting a TT "getaway" could and should be offered a more favourable rate but we've got pensions and a big tin and glass shed to pay for I suppose.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Last week (for Max P) would have been in school holidays and end of May is the start of TT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

TBH, I was responding to Max's post above, I don't understand why he's been stung when he's booked so far in advance.

Residents wanting a TT "getaway" could and should be offered a more favourable rate but we've got pensions and a big tin and glass shed to pay for I suppose.

I always thought if you're offering homestay you should be offered a big discount on Steampacket travel off island for TT. I'd be more interested in doing it if most of the gain wasn't eaten up by the cost of just getting of the Island for a week.

2 hours ago, Major Rushen said:

This is a quiet scandal and if this was a private company the Gov would be jumping all over them. At that price a lot if people will not use it. An ezy flight booked in advance is a lot cheaper. RIP off there should be price controls. 

There are price controls.  They're in the user agreement and prescribe that Standard fares can only rise with Manx CPI (there's a bit of a get out for fuel surcharges).  There were five price bands from A (the most expensive) to E (the cheapest) and every timetabled sailing was assigned a band.  To calculate a total fare you added all the components (car, passengers etc) at the relevant rate for the band that sailing was and then did the same for the return.

But the Standard fares are often expensive.  Those coming over for TT will pay them, often at A rates, especially from Liverpool, as sailings expected to be popular are usually assigned to the highest bands.  Most locals will try to use one of the special offers and avoid the busiest times.

However for some time it hasn't been easy to find out what the Standard fares are or what band each sailing has been assigned to.  You can't work out in advance what the price might be or which are the cheapest sailings to use if you can't get a special offer.  You can't tell if the price offered by the Steam Packet website is correct.

3 hours ago, asitis said:

I wonder if the Racket has started to use a revenue management system, because on Monday I booked a return with car towards the end of the TT festival in June and paid half of what you have mentioned.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I wonder if the Racket has started to use a revenue management system, because on Monday I booked a return with car towards the end of the TT festival in June and paid half of what you have mentioned.

My crossing is out on Mannan to Liverpool and back from Heysham on the manxman

Edited by asitis