Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

It,s the new Bell/Teare/Comin policy to keep the IoM population at "economic critical mass" level....

"You can check out any time you want - but you can never leave..." (copyright Eagles, 1976?)

Its still letting me book a sailing to Liverpool for tomorrow despite the sailing being displayed as cancelled on the website, no Heysham alternative is offered!

No, it's not, it was removed this morning

It most definitely is, select your date as 8/4/2015 from IOM - Heysham, it tells me no crossing is available the only alternative is Liverpool on the Mannanan instead.

Not really no.

The Scottish examples are all subsidized by the Edinburgh Government so aren't a good comparison. The vulnerability highlighted has in part been answered by the acquisition of the Arrow to provide freight cover.

we were all seduced by fast craft in 1993 after they brought one in to cover for The Lady when it hit a harbour wall. 3 hours to Dublin/Liverpool etc halved the journey time and IIRC when The Lady came back, passenger numbers fell.

We now appear to want to return to the longer journey times or perhaps sacrifice some time in exchange for reliability. The problem is that when Easyjet are chucking out seats for £45 return, a longer boat journey suddenly isn't as attractive.

I sympathise with the Racket and all its disrupted passengers. They clearly didn't arrange this on purpose and the best laid contingency plans can only move a finite number of PAX with the resources they have. Whether the scale of the ill justifies a significant investment into a "spare boat" which for most of the year kicks its heels is of course a very different question and in my view the answer is a resounding no.

• Like 1

Pretty sure it was published on the BBC website, not the Island

ETA - and they were referring to the coach transfer from Liverpool to Heysham, but just badly worded it.

Further edit - After listening to the start of the podcast again it was quoted from the BBC news website - "Due to bad weather the Isle of Man ferry service has been cancelled. A replacement bus service is available"

Edited by The Old Git