Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

I see the Steam Packet have cancelled Thursday and Friday sailings.

http://www.steam-packet.com/LatestSailings

Anyone know why the afternoon/evening sailings have auto transferred to Heysham but morning sailings have to phone up to make alternative arrangements?

Pretty sure it was published on the BBC website, not the Island

ETA - and they were referring to the coach transfer from Liverpool to Heysham, but just badly worded it.

Further edit - After listening to the start of the podcast again it was quoted from the BBC news website - "Due to bad weather the Isle of Man ferry service has been cancelled. A replacement bus service is available"

I know. I think it was the BBC website on the Island...or attached thereto...

The Douglas to Larne P&O fast craft dodging discarded fishing gear today, taken from the Miners Steps heading towards the Calf.

I don't recall during the height of the fishing industry in the 70s any IOMSPCo vessels having problems with fishing gear like they do now, and there was a lot more fishing activity then for sure! post-34701-0-43955300-1428510017_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Why do the Steam packet rely on fast craft ? I wouldn't mind but its not really that fast ?

Modern ferries now are around 30 knots so there is little advantage and the thing is never on full chat.

They did it in 90 minutes years ago, but the fuel is the problem, Time to get a "better" boat, they could build one like the superfast ferries but a bit smaller.

Its really showing that the monopoly needs to end, a fair market is needed really I know its not done over here due to the local mafia but the general public are going to start to get sick of this

Why do the Steam packet rely on fast craft ? I wouldn't mind but its not really that fast ?

Modern ferries now are around 30 knots so there is little advantage and the thing is never on full chat.

They did it in 90 minutes years ago, but the fuel is the problem, Time to get a "better" boat, they could build one like the superfast ferries but a bit smaller.

Its really showing that the monopoly needs to end, a fair market is needed really I know its not done over here due to the local mafia but the general public are going to start to get sick of this

the fastest trips I can remember them doing was 90mins to Whitehaven, the other quick one would be Peel - Portaferry day trip, I think a side loader did 2hr30 or so on the way back from Liverpool at the start of the sailors strike, and Manannan is just about 2 hrs to Heysham, but the limit is the fuel factor

but there'll be more anoraky folks out there will know for sure

If the steam packet had been honest about their problems and not relied on the old "fishing gear story" they wouldn't be getting half as much flack.

A stray bit of monofilament fishing net doesn't snap chunks off a boat and put it out of service for a week

The Douglas to Larne P&O fast craft dodging discarded fishing gear today, taken from the Miners Steps heading towards the Calf.

I don't recall during the height of the fishing industry in the 70s any IOMSPCo vessels having problems with fishing gear like they do now, and there was a lot more fishing activity then for sure! attachicon.gifDSC_0019.JPG

I don't recall many SPCo vessles being propelled by waterjet either, or having the same type of bowthruster.

Just saying like.

• Like 2

If the steam packet had been honest about their problems and not relied on the old "fishing gear story" they wouldn't be getting half as much flack.

A stray bit of monofilament fishing net doesn't snap chunks off a boat and put it out of service for a week

Like a bird flying into a plane engine wouldn't disable the engine mid-air????

Oh wait

Why do the Steam packet rely on fast craft ?

The government mandated user agreement?

Well that's it then, what ever they touch turns to endless breakdowns and let down tax payers thumbsup.gif

I just think if they had a boat that actually work 12 months of a year it wouldn't be full, they have trouble filling the ben during the winter months