Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

34 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Maybe a DDOS attack or something going on? Very unusual.

This happens every year when the TT tickets go on sale ... I was unfortunate enough to be sailing on the date last year so it was impossible to find out if the boat was on time. I duly complained and asked why the latest sailings page wasn't kept somewhere where it wouldn't be affected next time to be told it wasn't an issue and would go away in a few days. In other words we can't be bothered to fix it even though we know its a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, emesde said:

What on earth has happened to their web site.I tried to go into "latest sailings" to check on time of  an arrival  tomorrow and find that I am part of a virtual queue for the next 3 hours just to find out an arrival time of a ferry.How crazy is that. I can understand a queue to buy tickets but not to find out an arrival time. 😜

We are experiencing a high volume of traffic and using a virtual queue to limit the amount of users on the website at the same time. This will ensure you have the best possible online experience.

8 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

We are experiencing a high volume of traffic and using a virtual queue to limit the amount of users on the website at the same time. This will ensure you have the best possible online experience.

It’s a problem when a site that sees on average less than 100 bookings a day is inundated with 20,000 on the day TT 2025 booking opens.

17 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s a problem when a site that sees on average less than 100 bookings a day is inundated with 20,000 on the day TT 2025 booking opens.

But they do have the historical figures so they can build a proper scalable system and can fairly accurately predict the load and resources required for 1-2 days a year.  The fact they have put a 'new' system in that still can't cope with the load shows insufficient testing.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, but they are clearly not 'ensuring you have the best online experience' when you are simply looking at latest sailings for example. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cissolt said:

But they do have the historical figures so they can build a proper scalable system and can fairly accurately predict the load and resources required for 1-2 days a year.  The fact they have put a 'new' system in that still can't cope with the load shows insufficient testing.

No way could you train that many extra staff and the system would not work as the booking has to hold from you selecting your options to payment. It would end up in double or treble booking. 

The logistics of such a scale up would never work and the benefit would be tiny. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, littlebushy said:

Yes, but they are clearly not 'ensuring you have the best online experience' when you are simply looking at latest sailings for example. 

That's true. The other stuff should be available. Not sure how easy that is technically though. They would have to be routed through to another URL

A month or so ago, I tried to book a return sailing for July.  Several attempts over a couple of days and each time when it came to actually book, the site 'timed out'.  I rang the booking line to book and queried if the site was having problems. 

No, no problems reported, but there must have been.  Never had a booking time out before. 

11 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Tesco can’t be arsed with the additional capacity for online shopping slots when Xmas ordering opens. Think it was 15 hours wait time last year.

Theres a level of additional capacity that is warranted. Above that it’s not worth it. And then there is the very valid point made by Happier diner.

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No way could you train that many extra staff and the system would not work as the booking has to hold from you selecting your options to payment. It would end up in double or treble booking. 

The logistics of such a scale up would never work and the benefit would be tiny. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Tesco can’t be arsed with the additional capacity for online shopping slots when Xmas ordering opens. Think it was 15 hours wait time last year.

Theres a level of additional capacity that is warranted. Above that it’s not worth it. And then there is the very valid point made by Happier diner.

So, can you access the rest of Tesco site when their Xmas online ordering opens?

31 minutes ago, Gladys said:

A month or so ago, I tried to book a return sailing for July.  Several attempts over a couple of days and each time when it came to actually book, the site 'timed out'.  I rang the booking line to book and queried if the site was having problems. 

No, no problems reported, but there must have been.  Never had a booking time out before. 

I have. It does happen sometimes. Then it's locked and the only option is to ring them. They know it happens sometimes. They explained to me why. 

48 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

To be honest I have found the online booking system a bit of a faff.  Has worked alright until you come to pay and it tells  you that you haven’t have done this that or the other.

At this stage it’s easier to ring them up and give them the details of your booking (including any seats you have chosen,  for verification etc ). Phone is answered very quickly and the humans are very pleasant and efficient and you complete the booking at no extra cost. Not done it in TT period mind