Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

9 hours ago, Gladys said:

A month or so ago, I tried to book a return sailing for July.  Several attempts over a couple of days and each time when it came to actually book, the site 'timed out'.  I rang the booking line to book and queried if the site was having problems. 

No, no problems reported, but there must have been.  Never had a booking time out before. 

I had this problem and contacted them. They reverted promptly by email advising that the site doesn't "like" Samsung and some other browsers and that I should used a browser such as Chrome and they were aware and are intending to address the problem. Their advice worked though, booking by Chrome worked first time.

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I had this problem and contacted them. They reverted promptly by email advising that the site doesn't "like" Samsung and some other browsers and that I should used a browser such as Chrome and they were aware and are intending to address the problem. Their advice worked though, booking by Chrome worked first time.

It is the first time I had that problem, and have always had a Samsung, but thanks for the tip re the browser. :)

Sent from my iPohne

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I have had issues with the samsung tablet (with chrome) where the drop down boxes (e.g. for cabins) does not work. I always book on the PC laptop these days as that seems the most reliable.

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Wyre Estuary and Wyre River are currently dredging Heysham.

But to what depth?

Wyre Estuary does at least have a long range excavator, so it might be going deep enough, but it will need to work for a long time to clear all the silt that has accumulated over years of neglect.

Wyre River is a pretty basic dredger, but can get into corners.

Between the two, provided Peel really mean it, there could be some hope!

http://www.wyremarineservices.co.uk/fleet-and-equipment.html

In todays news:-

"There's no agreement yet about rent for the new Liverpool ferry terminal, according to the Island's Treasury Minister Alex Allinson.

This week in Tynwald, he faced questions about what the Steam Packet Company would be paying to the Department of Infrastructure once it moves into the Princes Half-Tide Dock facility.

At present, the company pays £737,000 a year for the pier head landing stage - including £27,000 for the terminal licence and £130,000 rates.

But Dr Allinson said a figure for the new terminal hadn't been decided yet:"

So does this mean that taxpayers have paid £80 million  for this facility.The DOI  own it and charge around a million pounds a year in rent /lease to the Steam Packet co .the Steam Packet have to build an amount into each ticket to pay the annual lease and so the customer pays extra to pay for a facility they have already bought. Is that correct or have I missed something?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, emesde said:

"There's no agreement yet about rent for the new Liverpool ferry terminal, according to the Island's Treasury Minister Alex Allinson.

This week in Tynwald, he faced questions about what the Steam Packet Company would be paying to the Department of Infrastructure once it moves into the Princes Half-Tide Dock facility.

At present, the company pays £737,000 a year for the pier head landing stage - including £27,000 for the terminal licence and £130,000 rates.

So does this mean that taxpayers have paid £80 million  for this facility.The DOI  own it and charge around a million pounds a year in rent /lease to the Steam Packet co .the Steam Packet have to build an amount into each ticket to pay the annual lease and so the customer pays extra to pay for a facility they have already bought. Is that correct or have I missed something?

It's leased not bought.

The rent should have been agreed as part of the initial project sign-off - what a shambles of a position for any customer to put themselves into!

The failure to address this takes government incompetence to a new level.

'No agreement yet' suggests to me that eye-watering figures are likely being corresponded currently.

• Like 2

Lessons will be learned and nobody will be held accountable, as always. Must be nice to have a job where you can be an incompetent fuckup and get rewarded for it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's leased not bought.

The rent should have been agreed as part of the initial project sign-off - what a shambles of a position for any customer to put themselves into!

'No agreement yet' suggests to me that eye-watering figures are likely being corresponded currently.

and they'll be commercially confidential

29 minutes ago, emesde said:

The quoted charge is for the current landing stage is it not?  So, they are looking for the Steam Packet to pay a charge for the new facility to IOMG, they already pay someone else for the current landing stage.  

Other than not having this buttoned down sooner I don't get the issue. 

13 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's leased not bought.

And in theory anyway, there's nothing to stop the arm's length Steamie from saying, "Fuck these prices, we'll go and find somewhere else to dock".

Which would leave us with a redundant £100M Dock.

• Haha 2