Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Why do the Steam packet rely on fast craft ?

The government mandated user agreement?

Well that's it then, what ever they touch turns to endless breakdowns and let down tax payers thumbsup.gif

I just think if they had a boat that actually work 12 months of a year it wouldn't be full, they have trouble filling the ben during the winter months

Exactly!

The routes are barely viable when the user agreement is imposed on the operator.

Given the choice the steam packet would not run a fast craft, and run a lot less passenger services in the winter. They probably wouldn't bother sailing to Ireland at all.

But they have to, all of which costs money, which means they have to "make hay while the sun shines" and charge fares people think are high when demand is high to subsidise the loss making times.

People seem to think the user agreement works in their favour. Anyone who believes another operator would come in on those terms and offer a cheaper more reliable service is deluded.

• Like 2

Whether the route is viable, blah blah etc, you think they could at least improve their pathetic communications and customer service and according to staff on the ground they already know that the manannan will be out of service for at least another two days but have they told travellers this in sufficient time for them to change onward travel.

Exactly!

The routes are barely viable when the user agreement is imposed on the operator.

Given the choice the steam packet would not run a fast craft, and run a lot less passenger services in the winter. They probably wouldn't bother sailing to Ireland at all.

But they have to, all of which costs money, which means they have to "make hay while the sun shines" and charge fares people think are high when demand is high to subsidise the loss making times.

People seem to think the user agreement works in their favour. Anyone who believes another operator would come in on those terms and offer a cheaper more reliable service is deluded.

its the most profitable ferry route in the world ffs

• Like 2

If the steam packet had been honest about their problems and not relied on the old "fishing gear story" they wouldn't be getting half as much flack.

A stray bit of monofilament fishing net doesn't snap chunks off a boat and put it out of service for a week

Why don't you bother reading what they do put out to the press properly?

If you did you would see that they don't mention fishing gear at all, but 'debris'.

Just because lazy journalists re-reporting the story talk about fishing gear is no excuse for you not to bother to check your facts before you accuse people of dishonesty.

The Douglas to Larne P&O fast craft dodging discarded fishing gear today, taken from the Miners Steps heading towards the Calf.

I don't recall during the height of the fishing industry in the 70s any IOMSPCo vessels having problems with fishing gear like they do now, and there was a lot more fishing activity then for sure! attachicon.gifDSC_0019.JPG

I don't recall many SPCo vessles being propelled by waterjet either, or having the same type of bowthruster.

Just saying like.

The Ben issue in Feb had nothing to do with the bowthrusters (or obviously any waterjet system) when hitting the Aoife Rose, or fishing gear/debris in my opinion. It was simply a mechanical failure of the CPP system but as always fishing gear is the stock reply.

With regard to the Manannan, I am surprised any navy would build a ship for military use that would be so susceptible to being brought to a halt by some fishnets?

The Douglas to Larne P&O fast craft dodging discarded fishing gear today, taken from the Miners Steps heading towards the Calf.

I don't recall during the height of the fishing industry in the 70s any IOMSPCo vessels having problems with fishing gear like they do now, and there was a lot more fishing activity then for sure! attachicon.gifDSC_0019.JPG

I don't recall many SPCo vessles being propelled by waterjet either, or having the same type of bowthruster.

Just saying like.

The Ben issue in Feb had nothing to do with the bowthrusters (or obviously any waterjet system) when hitting the Aoife Rose, or fishing gear/debris in my opinion. It was simply a mechanical failure of the CPP system but as always fishing gear is the stock reply.

With regard to the Manannan, I am surprised any navy would build a ship for military use that would be so susceptible to being brought to a halt by some fishnets?

Oh dear....another self proclaimed, expert, know-it-all.

Why should anyone take any note or attribute any weight to what you say? You clearly have an axe to grind and are incapable of objectivity.

As for Manannan, as in my earlier post, why don't you bother to get your facts right before you commit to posting? You are wrong on both counts. Manannan was built as a commercial ferry,

and converted to use by the US Navy. Oh, and the Packet say she was damaged by 'debris', not 'fishnets'.

• Like 1

Just saying like.

Oh dear....another self proclaimed, expert, know-it-all.

Why should anyone take any note or attribute any weight to what you say? You clearly have an axe to grind and are incapable of objectivity.

As for Manannan, as in my earlier post, why don't you bother to get your facts right before you commit to posting? You are wrong on both counts. Manannan was built as a commercial ferry,

and converted to use by the US Navy. Oh, and the Packet say she was damaged by 'debris', not 'fishnets'.

I once got fishnets tangled round my water jet, caused terrible damage. Couldn't get the ship into dock for weeks.

Like a bird flying into a plane engine wouldn't disable the engine mid-air????

Oh wait

Is that a serious comparison?

Of course it is,a Cormorant got sucked in and shagged the water jet propulsion system.

Edited by Lisenchuk

Mr Woodward talks about the fishing net rumour here.

Also, what happened to the P&O boat is perfect for him.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/ferry-the-steam-packet-borrowed-damaged-in-manx-waters-1-7200713

No it isn't. It clearly shows the unsuitability of this type of craft for the purpose of providing a ferry service on the Isle of Man route.

The currents around the Island concentrate flotsam and jetsam in a series of giant eddys which means that there are in effect 'patches' of debris that move as tides flow and ebb but remain areas of detritus.

These fast craft using water jet propulsion simply can't cope with this. The proof is out there day after day.

• Like 1

That looks like metal fatigue rather than anything else? how old are these parts? doesn't mention when they were last replaced.

And yet another self proclaimed, expert, know-it-all. But even more clever - one that can spot metal fatigue from a photo.

The Press Release states that these were checked and passed by the regulatory authorities just before coming in to service this year.

'.

That looks like metal fatigue rather than anything else? how old are these parts? doesn't mention when they were last replaced.

And yet another self proclaimed, expert, know-it-all. But even more clever - one that can spot metal fatigue from a photo.

The Press Release states that these were checked and passed by the regulatory authorities just before coming in to service this year.

'.

You don't have to be an 'expert' to know metal fatigues with age and stress, I said 'looks like' because that IMO is what it looks like, looking at the top photo of the a frame you can see the deterioration its not clean metal where it has been broken/snapped.

• Like 1