Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

When I was fit and travelled to Liverpool by boat If the weather was fine I loved the walk from the old landing stage to Lime Street , luggage would be one small case on wheels , although there was usually a bus available and I have never noticed any homeless people or drunks .   I don’t know if the new landing stage is a further walk but there were always taxis waiting for the boat to dock.   Banker has a fertile imagination perhaps we should not stifle it he gets quite cross.

I've been using Liverpool during the summer service for a decade now - it's too early for dunks even in Liverpool, sometimes I see a beggar but in general I've seen more street sleepers in the towns around London.

There were taxis at the new terminal but whether pre-booked I don't know, the few times I 've needed them from lime St (weather poor) there has been a few minutes wait.

Returning via the 3pm boat is not the problem as the London train is 18.43 with another at 19.43 which is the last that gives me an onward connection.

I used at one time to use an 18.30 boat (I think) from Liverpool (that even allowed me some research time in Liverpool library) but that has been moved slightly later and onward transport to Peel is not guaranteed except on a Friday (when of course the boat far is more expensive) -likewise the 7.30am to Liverpool is not reachable without an expensive taxi.

18 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

When I was fit and travelled to Liverpool by boat If the weather was fine I loved the walk from the old landing stage to Lime Street , luggage would be one small case on wheels , although there was usually a bus available and I have never noticed any homeless people or drunks .   I don’t know if the new landing stage is a further walk but there were always taxis waiting for the boat to dock.   Banker has a fertile imagination perhaps we should not stifle it he gets quite cross.

Well I go a lot during football season to Anfield and the bus back stops around the corner from lime street, walking back into town depending on time of day there’s lots of homeless around McDonald’s and down that area, various drunks normally along that strip down to Hanover street outside smoking. John W probably has his nose in the air !

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well I go a lot during football season to Anfield and the bus back stops around the corner from lime street, walking back into town depending on time of day there’s lots of homeless around McDonald’s and down that area, various drunks normally along that strip down to Hanover street outside smoking. John W probably has his nose in the air !

Well you don’t get all that getting the bus back into town from Goodison. Maybe the drunks, homeless ( and God forbid smokers) only come out when Liverpool are playing at home.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

John W probably has his nose in the air

I’ve not said there aren’t drunks, or homeless. I’ve said

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’ve never experienced any difficulty or obstruction from homeless or drunks. 

And in a wheelchair I’m much more likely to be obstructed than someone on foot, and my eye level is much closer to the ground.

My favoured places to stay are Lime Street Premier Inn, the Hanover Street Premier Inn and the Novotel, also on Lime Street. Yes, there are occasionally people begging. I normally get a wave or a cheery greeting. 

7 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Newspaper in at 4pm Sunday afternoon and my newsagent tells me there will be no papers next Sunday as Steam packet   dont have a boat available  the joys of being stranded on this rock !

It’s to do with the SPCo having decided to send Manxman to Belfast on Saturday evenings/overnights during the summer. It’s all to do with timetabling, nothing to do with ability of the boat.

Of course, they could use Manannan to Heysham on Saturday evening/Sunday overnight, or even use it for Belfast.

Just imagine the flexibility if we used Ben, got rid of Manannan. Would we even need Arrow?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Omobono said:

Newspaper in at 4pm Sunday afternoon and my newsagent tells me there will be no papers next Sunday as Steam packet   dont have a boat available  the joys of being stranded on this rock !

Up to date news is available online 24 hours a day

• Thanks 1