Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

More like an ellipse.

Yes true. I was making the point that going out a an extra 10 miles would make it about.....a lot further trip. It would also defeat the object as wouldn't see much of the Island. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

Why should stream packet just put on a sailing at tax payers expense, just to go and pick up the papers. For years they were flown in and all of a sudden people expect steam packet to change schedule just to pick them up. 

makes zero sense for them to do that.

Nobody is asking them to put a sailing on just for the newspapers  the schedule should be whats best for their customers and the isle of man , a Sunday morning sailing also means people get parcels and mail on Monday morning and there are deliveries   and   perishables available in the supermarkets and shops at the commencement  of the week  

28 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Nobody is asking them to put a sailing on just for the newspapers  the schedule should be whats best for their customers and the isle of man , a Sunday morning sailing also means people get parcels and mail on Monday morning and there are deliveries   and   perishables available in the supermarkets and shops at the commencement  of the week  

Well no, as a commercial operation they should do what’s best for them. 
If that is not best for their customers and the Isle of Man so be it.

If you want a free market economy that’s what you get.

( apart from the link span agreement etc that means it’s not a perfect market!)

41 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Will we not get all that on the Sunday night Monday morning sailing?

12 hours ago, Omobono said:

the schedule should be whats best for their customers and the isle of man , a Sunday morning sailing also means people get parcels and mail on Monday

It’s the Saturday night/Sunday morning crossing that isn’t timetabled. Clearly there isn’t much freight on that day, given that even most couriers don’t work Sundays, otherwise they’d run it, wouldn’t they?

Does anybody actually buy actual physical newspapers anymore?

I've been on the Sunday 02.15 sailing a few times after football matches over the years. There's always been about 20 - 30 people on it. There's no or very limited freight.

It makes sense that they take this sailing out of the timetable one or more times in the month as there's no way it's economical. They're not going to run a special sailing to bring over a few newspapers for people who can't use the internet.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Omobono said:

Parcels & mail is delivered on Monday, it arrives on the overnight boat docking about 6am Monday morning , so is freight including perishable food 

Edited by Banker

2 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

a few newspapers for people who can't use the internet.

I'm perfectly happy with using the internet (have been since the mid 80s) but prefer a physical newspaper. The same goes with books.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kevster said:

I'm perfectly happy with using the internet (have been since the mid 80s) but prefer a physical newspaper. 

i agree, wiping your arse on squares of old laptop just isn't the same

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Parcels & mail is delivered on Monday, it arrives on the overnight boat docking about 6am Monday morning , so is freight including perishable food 

There is also a mail container shipped to the Island overnight on a Saturday/Sunday.

Doubling that amount arriving on a Monday morning may cause delays in processing with a knock on to delivery.

a couple of months ago i was  on the Saturday evening  19.45 Douglas - Heysham ,manxman

total of eight cars , one bike and 9 footies 

no freight on the lower deck 

speaking to the crew they weren't expecting many more passengers on the return leg

3 hours ago, trench12 said:

a couple of months ago i was  on the Saturday evening  19.45 Douglas - Heysham ,manxman

total of eight cars , one bike and 9 footies 

no freight on the lower deck 

speaking to the crew they weren't expecting many more passengers on the return leg

all the more reason to reduce the fares on some overnight weekend sailings  better to run the vessel half full then empty  take a lesson from the supermarkets , 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kevster said:

I'm perfectly happy with using the internet (have been since the mid 80s) but prefer a physical newspaper. The same goes with books.

Really? There was not much content until very early nineties when bulletin boards joined the party. In fact, I cannot recall a newspaper (daily) that was on the internet in the mid eighties.