Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

31 minutes ago, Omobono said:

all the more reason to reduce the fares on some overnight weekend sailings  better to run the vessel half full then empty  take a lesson from the supermarkets , 

It’ll use less fuel if it is empty.

Best thing would be not to run the crossing at all, or use the opportunity to go to Ireland instead,

10 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

It’ll use less fuel if it is empty.

Best thing would be not to run the crossing at all, or use the opportunity to go to Ireland instead,

I'll bet the Irish sailing is equally quiet.

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Really? There was not much content until very early nineties when bulletin boards joined the party. In fact, I cannot recall a newspaper (daily) that was on the internet in the mid eighties. 

He is thinking of Ceefax.

On the afternoon sailing to Liverpool today, no WiFi.  Tried every accessible lounge and asked in the shop and purser's desk.  Probably not working came the reply.  It really is not good enough in the 21st century.   How difficult is it?   Add to that the notice with the password refers to the two bookable lounges, but I was told the code could be used anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Really? There was not much content until very early nineties when bulletin boards joined the party. In fact, I cannot recall a newspaper (daily) that was on the internet in the mid eighties. 

I never said I was reading newspapers on the internet in the 80s.
Bulletin boards were around in the 80s. 

3 hours ago, Cambon said:

Even then nothing really of general interest or widely available and used by the public until the mid-90s. Totally different proposition when broadband came along early 2000s. Bit of a pain prior to that with the old dial-up

11 hours ago, kevster said:

I never said I was reading newspapers on the internet in the 80s.
Bulletin boards were around in the 80s. 

Yes, bulletin boards were there, but only really took off around 90/91. 

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Yes, bulletin boards were there, but only really took off around 90/91. 

Early ones were usually for specific interests or technology areas. I was working at a satellite TV broadcaster at the time and the BBs for that particular industry came in useful

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gladys said:

He is thinking of Ceefax.

On the afternoon sailing to Liverpool today, no WiFi.  Tried every accessible lounge and asked in the shop and purser's desk.  Probably not working came the reply.  It really is not good enough in the 21st century.   How difficult is it?   Add to that the notice with the password refers to the two bookable lounges, but I was told the code could be used anywhere. 

It's been flaky on sea cat for a while and I don't think they know how to fix it - or just can't be arsed.

1 minute ago, Harry Lamb said:

It's been flaky on sea cat for a while and I don't think they know how to fix it - or just can't be arsed.

TBH, possibly both.  Yet she had a thorough internal refit, so you would guess that would have been an ideal time.  The service seems to be through Starlink, you get that it is connected, but it doesn't allow you to actually log in. 

I pity the passenger facing staff who, no doubt, often have to deal with disgruntled customers.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

TBH, possibly both.  Yet she had a thorough internal refit, so you would guess that would have been an ideal time.  The service seems to be through Starlink, you get that it is connected, but it doesn't allow you to actually log in. 

I pity the passenger facing staff who, no doubt, often have to deal with disgruntled customers.  

Starliink is utter shite on the racket yet works perfectly on the UK train network?

19 hours ago, Gladys said:

Add to that the notice with the password refers to the two bookable lounges, but I was told the code could be used anywhere. 

The WiFi is included in your upgraded ticket price in the bookable lounges or the membership fee for Exec Club. You can buy the access code if you’re not in either of those categories. Why would you expect there to be two WiFi networks and separate codes?

Capacity/cost/stability/speed/bandwidth of a satellite based system is an issue with land based systems. A moving at sea system is more limited. Inmarsat is horrendously expensive. Not sure if there’s a deal to be done with Starlink? But you get 300 or 400 trying to log on at once then there are bound to be issues.

Wifi on Brittany Ferries, Grimaldi, ANEK, Superfast is equally crap.

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

Starliink is utter shite on the racket yet works perfectly on the UK train network?

Starlink on trains is relatively new. Florida, Lithuania, Ukraine. Are you sure it’s used as the backbone for UK rail service offerings?

@Gladys, where do you get your info about the SPCo system connecting via Starlink?

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Starlink on trains is relatively new. Florida, Lithuania, Ukraine. Are you sure it’s used as the backbone for UK rail service offerings?

Well all the one I've been on it is?

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

@Gladys, where do you get your info about the SPCo system connecting via Starlink?

I'm sure it says its starliink when you log on?