Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Well all the one I've been on it is?

I’ll have to do a speed test next time I’m on board a boat or train.

I use Starlink out in Spain, and I’m very happy with it. But connecting to the WiFi just gives you the house network name, unless you dig deeper.

1 minute ago, finlo said:

I'm sure it says its starliink when you log on?

I’m sure that on my last Manxman log on it was Steampacket WiFi or something similar.

• Like 1

What is the range of the mobile phone network when out on the water? When driving between Ramsey and Laxey, in the near to Ramsey part of the drive, my Sure mobile phone would frequently warn me that I was logged on to the UK network.

[I asked at Sure. They said it was a known problem and that I would not have roaming charges added]

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m sure that on my last Manxman log on it was Steampacket WiFi or something similar.

It says something like connecting via starliink portal or words to that effect.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The WiFi is included in your upgraded ticket price in the bookable lounges or the membership fee for Exec Club. You can buy the access code if you’re not in either of those categories. Why would you expect there to be two WiFi networks

Because I asked to buy a code but was referred to the password notices all around the ship and was told I didn't need to and to use the code regardless that I was not booked in the lounges. 

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, and then takes you to a Starlink connection which doesn't complete. 

Edited by Gladys

12 hours ago, Two-lane said:

What is the range of the mobile phone network when out on the water? When driving between Ramsey and Laxey, in the near to Ramsey part of the drive, my Sure mobile phone would frequently warn me that I was logged on to the UK network.

[I asked at Sure. They said it was a known problem and that I would not have roaming charges added]

For calls and texts it's a few miles. For data you lose it within a mile. Depends on atmospheric conditions and triangulation with masts ( you can lose it then get It back ).It will often say you are connected but it won't work. Same goes for UK connection in the north. It'll say you are connected but signal is too weak to function..

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, John Wright said:

The WiFi is included in your upgraded ticket price in the bookable lounges or the membership fee for Exec Club. You can buy the access code if you’re not in either of those categories. Why would you expect there to be two WiFi networks and separate codes?

Capacity/cost/stability/speed/bandwidth of a satellite based system is an issue with land based systems. A moving at sea system is more limited. Inmarsat is horrendously expensive. Not sure if there’s a deal to be done with Starlink? But you get 300 or 400 trying to log on at once then there are bound to be issues.

Wifi on Brittany Ferries, Grimaldi, ANEK, Superfast is equally crap.

On the cat last weekend the password was on display in the shop. I enquired about buying more data, as on Manxman. They weren't selling it, presumably as the service was so poor. The WiFi in the lounges was equally poor. It's generally much better on Manxman, so problems are nothing to do with being satellite based per se.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

On the cat last weekend the password was on display in the shop. I enquired about buying more data, as on Manxman. They weren't selling it, presumably as the service was so poor. The WiFi in the lounges was equally poor. It's generally much better on Manxman, so problems are nothing to do with being satellite based per se.

Yes, and no. To buy the necessary bandwidth capacity for several 100 users on Inmarsat is very expensive. Steam Packet won’t pay ( except for, perhaps, crew ). Not sure what Starlink costs for commercial connection, but the same issue arises if several 100 all try to log on at once.

Then add to that motion, both forward and, in rough weather, side to side.

Ive given up. I take my kindle and read.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Yes, and no. To buy the necessary bandwidth capacity for several 100 users on Inmarsat is very expensive. Steam Packet won’t pay ( except for, perhaps, crew ). Not sure what Starlink costs for commercial connection, but the same issue arises if several 100 all try to log on at once.

Then add to that motion, both forward and, in rough weather, side to side.

Ive given up. I take my kindle and read.

I was trying to connect to MF looking for intelligent argument and informed debate, which turned out to be a mistake for a variety of reasons, not all technical.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gladys said:

TBH, possibly both.  Yet she had a thorough internal refit, so you would guess that would have been an ideal time.  The service seems to be through Starlink, you get that it is connected, but it doesn't allow you to actually log in. 

I pity the passenger facing staff who, no doubt, often have to deal with disgruntled customers.  

Prior to the Manxman being built I asked IOMSPCo if they had considered installing proper desks or workstations in the Exec Club and in one of the other paid-for lounges so that those who wish to work during the crossing had the opportunity to do so. They didn't listen, so consequently you have to work off a table that's configured for dining with no power point in close proximity. And so I suspect they're not listening to their customers when it comes to WiFi. Doesn't surprise me at all.

21 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Prior to the Manxman being built I asked IOMSPCo if they had considered installing proper desks or workstations in the Exec Club and in one of the other paid-for lounges so that those who wish to work during the crossing had the opportunity to do so. They didn't listen, so consequently you have to work off a table that's configured for dining with no power point in close proximity. And so I suspect they're not listening to their customers when it comes to WiFi. Doesn't surprise me at all.

They don't listen to their customers period. I emailed them about my pet hate (why they don't stop people starting their engines on the car decks despite the well established link between cancer and respiratory disease ). It was a long constructive email. I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply in any form. I get more sympathy for my pet hate on here. that's not a high standard to beat 😁

18 hours ago, Harry Lamb said:

It's been flaky on sea cat for a while and I don't think they know how to fix it - or just can't be arsed.

I watch the bow cam from the Manxman a lot and part from big turns or ports its pretty stable... even in the storms last year it was consistent.

I'd say its more the set up as I've found you can log on and get a service which must mean you get an IP address.

So if you can get an IP and the ships connection is pretty consistent there is more at play here IMHO.

T

Edited by ccsnet