Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

On 7/21/2024 at 11:32 AM, La Colombe said:

Here's a mythterious local connection. 

[Youtube video]

And the local connection?

isn't it just the sailing is due signal? Hurry along the prom with your suitcase?

I think they may have re-introduced this recently???

Unless some SP staffer has died?

On 8/3/2024 at 6:35 PM, Happier diner said:

Was it behind schedule? I have noticed vibration when it's flat out. That's normal on a boat. 

From a lifetime of travelling on a large variety of ships. I do not recall that level of vibration being normal, whatever the speed.

There are some light fittings on Manxman that I will not sit under, because they shake and rattle so much.

It seems she vibrates most when doing over 17.5 knots. Is that flat out? She can't keep to schedules at that speed.

Have you noticed that the Sailing Updates only rarely now give an update to "Expected Arrival" times for Manxman? Are they trying to hide something? Wasn't she supposed to be faster than her predecessor?

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

isn't it just the sailing is due signal? Hurry along the prom with your suitcase?

I think they may have re-introduced this recently???

Unless some SP staffer has died?

That was a couple of short toots as I recall, not the several followed by a long toot.  

Had to be unusual to have noticed it. 

3 hours ago, monasqueen said:

From a lifetime of travelling on a large variety of ships. I do not recall that level of vibration being normal, whatever the speed.

There are some light fittings on Manxman that I will not sit under, because they shake and rattle so much.

It seems she vibrates most when doing over 17.5 knots. Is that flat out? She can't keep to schedules at that speed.

Have you noticed that the Sailing Updates only rarely now give an update to "Expected Arrival" times for Manxman? Are they trying to hide something? Wasn't she supposed to be faster than her predecessor?

Vibration is often caused by cavitation. Cavitation is where there is an area behind the prop where water vapour is formed (cold steam in effect) and builds up. Same happens with pumps. Its caused by a low pressure zone because the prop is over pulling the water forward and reducing its pressure.

A prop is usually built for an optimum rotation speed which would typically be at the top end (but not max) of a vessels cruising speed. However there are times when max speed is needed and often in this scenario the pump (or prop) is operating outside of its optimum and cavitation will start. Its harmless in small quantities. Run this was all the time will cause wear on the prop and the turning gear. Think of it as No11 on the volume of your marshall amp (Spinal Tap)

I don't know if its this but it would add up as its always when its pushing hard to catch up

It also does it when turning left out of Heysham but I have no idea why

Edited by Happier diner

36 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It also does it when turning left out of Heysham but I have no idea why

I was told lack of water underneath a couple of sailings back but did seem on the extreme end and lasted for quite a while.

T

Edited by ccsnet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Cavitation can also cause scaring and wear on the blades of a prop so should not taken lightly. Also cause it to run out of ballance as one blade is biting into water whilst another is clawing at a vacum.

didn't they have a  shipyard team from Korea recently looking at the cavitation  or vibration problems just at the start of the summer ,  she does vibrate a bit  but modern welded hull constructed  ships  tend to do , not like the old riveted hulls