Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

17 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

The Ben-My-Chree appears to be in the timetable operating all Heysham sailings between 29th September & 12th October.

Presumably this will be when the Manxman is off to Liverpool for berthing trials and making sure she's ready to go in the Winter.

End of season docking and overhaul, perhaps try to deal with the vibration.

The Beachboys didn't think there was anything wrong with vibrations!!!

I've not been on the Manxman yet. If it can't dock at Liverpool, can it take you on to Manchester and Bus you back to Liverpool like Logan can?

Just asking!!!

Edited by Kopek

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

End of season docking and overhaul, perhaps try to deal with the vibration.

Thank god the Manxman is back mid October when we want to travel. I don't think I could cope with going back to the Ben. Rather not bother travelling.

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well when they announced the project construction was starting at the end of last August, they said it was "scheduled for completion in the new year".  So a 12-month job rather than the 3-month one promised.  Though I suppose we're still technically in a 'new year'.

Only we would do work on a pier to accommodate a new boat that only gets completed 14 months after said new boat arrives.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mercenary said:

How do you get 3 months from that?

By miscounting - now changed to 4.  Assuming they started, as said, soon after the date of the PR release (30 August) in early September and 'in the new year' meant early January 2024 as most of use it.  And that the completion date is later this month to give most of 12 months.

16 hours ago, John Wright said:

Work on Edward Pier practical completion.

IMG_5412.jpeg

IMG_5413.jpeg

IMG_5414.jpeg

IMG_5416.jpeg

I still think it is a complete waste of money when the Manxman can and probably will use the other linkspan when conditions dictate. 
Job done. Now for the pointless £100M windfarm project. 

7 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I still think it is a complete waste of money when the Manxman can and probably will use the other linkspan when conditions dictate. 
Job done. Now for the pointless £100M windfarm project. 

Can’t use Victoria Pier when tides are low. The berth has a concrete reinforced base to protect against scour by the Manannan. It wouldn’t be good for Manxman to bottom on that.

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Can’t use Victoria Pier when tides are low. The berth has a concrete reinforced base to protect against scour by the Manannan. It wouldn’t be good for Manxman to bottom on that.

Sorry John, but it all sounds like excuses. So they cannot use the Victoria Pier when the tide is low coinciding with a strong NE wind during berthing times. Maybe once a year? 

31 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Sorry John, but it all sounds like excuses. So they cannot use the Victoria Pier when the tide is low coinciding with a strong NE wind during berthing times. Maybe once a year? 

But it’s not just berthing time. It’s when she’s in harbour. Ie when she doesn’t depart. That can be down to forecast not to be able to get into Heysham and manoeuvre, or when Edward hasn’t been tenable, or it really is so rough that a crossing isn’t safe, or when it’s not safe to manoeuvre in and depart from Douglas. 

There are two low tides a day.

Victoria isn’t a consistent option. Driving around the Irish Sea is wasteful of fuel and crew hours.

Making Edward more resilient doesn’t seem an unreasonable thing to do.

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But it’s not just berthing time. It’s when she’s in harbour. Ie when she doesn’t depart. That can be down to forecast not to be able to get into Heysham and manoeuvre, or when Edward hasn’t been tenable, or it really is so rough that a crossing isn’t safe, or when it’s not safe to manoeuvre in and depart from Douglas. 

There are two low tides a day.

Victoria isn’t a consistent option. Driving around the Irish Sea is wasteful of fuel and crew hours.

Making Edward more resilient doesn’t seem an unreasonable thing to do.

yet for some reason buying a boat with a draft that fitted the harbours and tides we had wasn't an option.