Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

I was on the Manannan during the last few days and was surprised to see the new jerry-rigged 'structure' that they have welded to her port side to allow the fabulous (irony alert) Liverpool terminal jet bridge to link up during low tide.  It is maybe 3 m high, with a platform and steps, and looks so shoddy.  In bad weather, it will be awful for passengers to use it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

... Manannan ...In bad weather, it will be awful for passengers to use it.

Manannan is basically a summer boat and can't/won't run if wave height exceeds 3.5m or if wind force 7 or above - it's about 2m of starircase and maybe 5m of transfer between the boat and the sheltered walkway thus mainly a problem getting wet for those who can handle steps - others will go in the support vehicle via the ramp.

Edited by Frances

Manxman had issues at Heysham overnight. Seemingly couldn’t turn in harbour and spent a few hours bow to at the number 1 linkspan. Eventually turned at about 03.00. She berthed at number 2 linkspan.

interestingly the Ben was at the number 3 linkspan. She is now covering this morning’s Heysham IoM run.

Steam Packet issued a statement that there had been an “incident”

IMG_5794.thumb.jpeg.a7187359c3066127c63703018285edbf.jpegIMG_5795.thumb.jpeg.9f8a0a03519d370799d1f2fa33f08b21.jpeg

IMG_5796.jpeg

Update at 05:45: Manxman sustained damage entering Heysham Port overnight. It will remain in Heysham for the time being. Ben-my-Chree is being utilised as a back up vessel, contingency plans are being activated to minimise disruption over the busy MGP period.

Update at 05:15: Ben-my-Chree has now departed Heysham, carrying as many passengers as possible who were due to travel on Manxman's scheduled 02:15 departure.

Update at 04:05: Ben-my-Chree is loading passengers to operate the Heysham - Isle of Man sailing. Manxman will remain in Heysham for the time being. 

Update at 03:35: Manxman is alongside number 2 Berth in Heysham and disembarkation of passengers and freight is commencing.

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company is currently coordinating and responding to an incident involving Manxman.

The Company can confirm there are no injuries to any passengers or crew.

The relevant authorities have been notified and the Company will issue an update once further details of the incident are known.