Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

A profiled intake grill could probably be designed for craft such as this, returning input levels to the same levels if no such grill was in place. If things where up to Silver Surfer we would all probably still be living in caves and trying to invent the square wheel.

you only have to have something like a dome shape filter (like on carburettors), or similar idea, so that the area of the holes add up to the original area of the opening so that there is no added restriction to the through flow and have no detrimental effect when fitted except to keep rubbish out

I really don't think it's that simple.

The speed of water flowing through the holes would create merry hell inside the structure because of vortices created by the high pressure fluid going through the holes that would then interact and result in a huge turbulent body of water inside what would become a form of unstable plenum chamber.

Trouble with water is that it soon starts to behave in very non liquid ways when you do things to it. It's many a long year since I completed the fluid dynamics bit of my degree course but I still think of it with cold horror.

Just plug 'Fluid Dynamics into a search engine, then read the results - and weep!

A profiled intake grill could probably be designed for craft such as this, returning input levels to the same levels if no such grill was in place. If things where up to Silver Surfer we would all probably still be living in caves and trying to invent the square wheel.

you only have to have something like a dome shape filter (like on carburettors), or similar idea, so that the area of the holes add up to the original area of the opening so that there is no added restriction to the through flow and have no detrimental effect when fitted except to keep rubbish out

The speed of water flowing through the holes would create merry hell inside the structure because of vortices created by the high pressure fluid going through the holes that would then interact and result in a huge turbulent body of water inside what would become a form of unstable plenum chamber.

Trouble with water is that it soon starts to behave in very non liquid ways when you do things to it. It's many a long year since I completed the fluid dynamics bit of my degree course but I still think of it with cold horror.

Just plug 'Fluid Dynamics into a search engine, then read the results - and weep!

how long have you been a world authority on everything ?

Haha, I think he may be right though.

• Like 2

Actually,what Spook says is pretty accurate. If you introduce a fast flowing body of fluid to an obstruction like a strainer then you set up all sorts of undesirable vortices and cause destructive cavitation problems.

It is really surprising what you see when minor alterations or additions are made to components being tested in a wind tunnel with laminar smoke flow. The problems are far greater when the fluid is dense like water.

A profiled intake grill could probably be designed for craft such as this, returning input levels to the same levels if no such grill was in place.

Something that wouldn't stop a crisp packet or a coke bottle but would be big enough to stop something like a large fish being ingested. It most likely wouldn't stop fish nets or ropes either but what's the chances of that?

Sounds great in theory, but things are never that straight forward..... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/nyregion/22engines.html

Sorry, it does come across as that.

He's no Barrie Stevens that's for sure.

No doubt Barrie will be on in a bit to discuss his work with NASA where he designed an underwater engine to work in the lakes of Titan

Yeah, not to mention all the things he did after lunch.

• Like 1

It goes to show that looking things up on Google is no substitute for experience and learning.

Also proves that manx forums is littered with posts from sock puppets.

WHAT THE BLUE BLAZES IS A SOCK PUPPET?

I read that Woodward is asking for passengers delayed by the gross inadequacies of the ferry to be reasonable.

So here's an open letter to Woodward.

YOU be reasonable. The ferry enjoy a monopoly on the surface route to the Island. It is self evident that the service that you provide is inadequate and because of the failures of the vessels used being caused by the environment within the Irish Sea that the vessels are unfit for purpose.

The ferry company that you manage have massively disrupted the plans of your customers and no doubt in some cases with tragic results.

A reasonable response would be to use best endeavours to provide a link to and from the Island and one measure that you should have employed would be to arrange air links for people who had urgent need.

To be frank telling customers to be reasonable is utterly disgusting. Reasonable is to expect a little delay but the ferry company, and in this case that means YOU to have used best endeavours to transport people to where they expected to be transported.

Had you done so then one outcome would be to have turned what is becoming a public relations disaster into a public relations success, instead you are expecting your customers to be 'reasonable'.

I don't know what your 2015/6 advertising budget is but believe me, it will be a total waste of money now.

Your response has been an advertising campaign all of its own. But what you've advertised is the very thing that no business that relies on the general public wants to be advertised. Especially on the biggest social network of them all.

Woodward, you have not done good.

• Like 1

You're sending a letter to Mark Woodward via Manx Forums? Wouldn't you be better putting it in an envelope and sending it to him?

Bluster.

No, my dear. Sending an open letter is a means of public criticism.