Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

I don't use the boat much, but the prices seem to be well over half as much again, from a couple of years ago. 

Is it cheaper if booked a few weeks before. It never used to make a difference before. 

Oh, and what is it with some of the Liverpool timings being 2-4am.

1 hour ago, Casta said:

I don't use the boat much, but the prices seem to be well over half as much again, from a couple of years ago. 

Is it cheaper if booked a few weeks before. It never used to make a difference before. 

Oh, and what is it with some of the Liverpool timings being 2-4am.

A lot of things are way more expensive now than a few years ago thanks to covid/Russia war/energy prices etc. 

The early morning Liverpool sailings are for MGP.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tinpot said:
16 hours ago, John Wright said:

Nope. But it had to leave some behind because it only carries 2/3 of the passengers that Mx does

This is nonsense.  Why post something that is completely untrue?

Well it's true according to the Steam Packet itself:

Built in 2023, Manxman is the first new build vessel the Company has commissioned since Ben-my-Chree joined the fleet in 1998.
Manxman has a passenger capacity of 948, that’s over 300 more than the Ben-my-Chree. It has 10% more lane capacity for vehicles too. But that doesn’t mean it’s vastly bigger. Its open and spacious feel comes down to clever use of space and design.

So John's 2/3 is correct in passenger terms.

Where there is less difference is in the space for vehicles and in reality this is often the limiting factor.  Most travellers (especially via Heysham) will not be on foot they will be in a car or van or on a bike.  So sailings which have filled with vehicles may still have quite a bit of spare passenger space.  Which means the extra 50% may simply go unused. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well it's true according to the Steam Packet itself:

Built in 2023, Manxman is the first new build vessel the Company has commissioned since Ben-my-Chree joined the fleet in 1998.
Manxman has a passenger capacity of 948, that’s over 300 more than the Ben-my-Chree. It has 10% more lane capacity for vehicles too. But that doesn’t mean it’s vastly bigger. Its open and spacious feel comes down to clever use of space and design.

So John's 2/3 is correct in passenger terms.

Where there is less difference is in the space for vehicles and in reality this is often the limiting factor.  Most travellers (especially via Heysham) will not be on foot they will be in a car or van or on a bike.  So sailings which have filled with vehicles may still have quite a bit of spare passenger space.  Which means the extra 50% may simply go unused. 

You would think that people would do a basic check on things before posting rubbish.

• Haha 1

Never mind, the problems have all been explained:

The managing director of the Steam Packet Company has blamed 'tight entrances' at Heysham and Douglas as a factor in Wednesday's incident with the Manxman.

[Insert own Kenneth Williams gif here]

If only they had known the size of the ports that the Manxman would be using when they specified it, eh?

But it's OK:

an investigation will take place and lessons will be learned

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I chuckled at the bit about the incident was," due to unseasonably bad weather", very true I imagine. But that to me begs the question, what will happen in seasonably bad weather i.e. like we have every year ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

The managing director of the Steam Packet Company has blamed 'tight entrances' at Heysham and Douglas as a factor in Wednesday's incident with the Manxman.

If only they had known the size of the ports that the Manxman would be using when they specified it, eh?

But it's OK:

I've noticed on some of the Seatruck and other vessels that call into Heysham also have plenty of scars or areas where they've sustained a clout and have been covered up/painted over. They probably never get reported in the media on account of the fact that they're not really PAX vessels.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it's OK:

Seems a perfectly reasonable response & they've communicated timely with the public - what's the issue & how would the person sitting in Roger Mexico towers have handled it differently (procured from Ferguson)? 

Clearly the Manxman 'fits' as shown by its reasonable record until now. Perhaps they'll review and drop an extra 1 or 2 sailings a year when the conditions are judged to be too severe. 

So, a bit of rough weather makes Heysham harbour un-navigable and causes an allision.

Now - link - a bit of rough weather means that everyone is held on the Manannan because she is moving about.

This is all quite worrying, considering how long SPC has been in business.