Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Shambles of a company and its board and ultimately the Government. The boat, the Edward pier, the Liverpool Toilet Block, now the linkspan. Then you have the live on board hullabaloo. Possible strikes. This company is one big disaster zone. And then you have the pricing, the most expensive bit of water in the world.

Over engineered, over thought when a simple system could be used. I travelled last month on a flat day and they couldn’t match up the gangplank to the mannanin then. Over 15 minutes faffing about to move the gangplank less than 30cms. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Boo Gay'n said:

So, a bit of rough weather makes Heysham harbour un-navigable and causes an allision.

Now - link - a bit of rough weather means that everyone is held on the Manannan because she is moving about.

This is all quite worrying, considering how long SPC has been in business.

I was in the new terminal earlier, we had an announcement about the linkspan moving then another about the new passenger ramp not lining up.  Ended up boarding nearly an hour late, foot passengers had to go on via the car ramp.  All a bit chaotic.  

Did they set sail knowing the passenger steps wouldn't lineup? Is this a tidal issue?

In other news, my first time visiting the terminal.  Hard to see where £10 million has been spent let alone nearly £100 million. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Shambles of a company and its board and ultimately the Government. The boat, the Edward pier, the Liverpool Toilet Block, now the linkspan. Then you have the live on board hullabaloo. Possible strikes. This company is one big disaster zone. And then you have the pricing, the most expensive bit of water in the world.

Over engineered, over thought when a simple system could be used. I travelled last month on a flat day and they couldn’t match up the gangplank to the mannanin then. Over 15 minutes faffing about to move the gangplank less than 30cms. 

And your master mariner and engineering qualification is ?

• Thanks 1

All this is just media hype by the shite local media. None of this is new. I was stuck for 6 hours mid 90s due to rough weather in the Mersey. Ships have collided (sorry, allided) with things for years, grounded on sandbanks etc. It was never mentioned. Dover gets closed each year when winds are over a certain speed - bet that's never made a big thing of. The obsession here is bizarre.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Banker said:

And your master mariner and engineering qualification is ?

You don’t need to be when everyone can see it’s over engineered for a simple construct for walking barely 2 yards onto a boat. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kopek said:

''.....The obsession here is bizarre. ....''

Not really when it's such a Local Issue to us?

A small % of services impacted each year. It's a bizarre obsession. Nothing can be done about the weather. It'd be different if things were constantly breaking down, but in the majority of cases, it's outside their control.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

I was in the new terminal earlier, we had an announcement about the linkspan moving then another about the new passenger ramp not lining up.  Ended up boarding nearly an hour late, foot passengers had to go on via the car ramp.  All a bit chaotic.  

Did they set sail knowing the passenger steps wouldn't lineup? Is this a tidal issue?

In other news, my first time visiting the terminal.  Hard to see where £10 million has been spent let alone nearly £100 million. 

What exactly was "chaotic" ?

I was on the trip back from Liverpool when the last major storm earlier this year hit Liverpool - the old pontoon terminal and Manannan were both moving significant amounts and certainly not in sync hence near 3 hours delay in loading and then by walking up the car ramp - the voyage back to Douglas could not be described in any way as comfortable - Manannan doesn't ride well in poor weather.