Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Poor design of what? The boat? The dodgy gangway? The landing stage? Heysham? Or all of the above? 

Systemic sound a bit strong to me. 

Could be that the 'allision' was human error. I mean it's been docking there fine for nearly a year and in much worse conditions. As JW has pointed out any times there are bigger boats docking there without issue. Not really sure what bit you are alluding to. The manxman hasn't docked at Liverpool in anger has it... I mean in service. 

the wind got it and that was that , it's a fucking sail side on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WTF said:

the wind got it and that was that , it's a fucking sail side on.

Is right . In strong winds the Manxman will be a bastard to berth. Side thrusters or not. I had a cabin cruiser that was high and in winds it was a nightmare to maneuver into Douglas inner harbour . It’s so high sided it will be a real challenge to berth it…As has been proven. 

10 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Is right . In strong winds the Manxman will be a bastard to berth. Side thrusters or not. I had a cabin cruiser that was high and in winds it was a nightmare to maneuver into Douglas inner harbour . It’s so high sided it will be a real challenge to berth it…As has been proven. 

As will any modern RoPax ferry in that case. Was on Pride of Rotterdam recently. A lot more side profile than Manxman and a very tight berth in Rotterdam Europort. The power of the thrusters on Mx are much more than those on BMC. It's one relatively minor incident in what were ~50mph winds. Have a quick Google, you'll find it happens the world over.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

54knt gusts / force 9 overnight that the Manxman will be coming back in .... but remember... the Manxman can't go out in the wind say the experts

NW/W thankfully though, so you don't get the horrible Atlantic swell running up like you do with a SSW. She'll be in the lee of the island half way or so across. Just hope she gets out of Heysham before the wind gets up there.

3 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

As will any modern RoPax ferry in that case. Was on Pride of Rotterdam recently. A lot more side profile than Manxman and a very tight berth in Rotterdam Europort. The power of the thrusters on Mx are much more than those on BMC. It's one relatively minor incident in what were ~50mph winds. Have a quick Google, you'll find it happens the world over.

I accept that but when the area your moving in is tight , and if so is , and the winds are gusting it’s not consistent so makes any manouvere very difficult. And yes it does happen the world over and will happen again for sure. Just sticking up for the crew and Captain really .

This may well be man in the pub speak, but there's a rumour that the linkspan at the new Terminal in Liverpool isn't designed to be located in the way it has been... on open water so to speak. Is designed to be located in a sheltered harbour... and that's why they can't use it when it's windy/a big tide. 

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The photo earlier in the thread shows that she was pranged on the left hand side, and this most recent photo shows she was pranged on the other side. So she was double pranged. I will let you work out a suitable abbreviation.

Well done brains

5 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I accept that but when the area your moving in is tight , and if so is , and the winds are gusting it’s not consistent so makes any manouvere very difficult. And yes it does happen the world over and will happen again for sure. Just sticking up for the crew and Captain really .

Ah we agree then. Yes, literally no room for error in winds like the other night. Back to the P&O dock at Europort, makes Heysham harbour look like the Pacific. You can see that docking procedure has been practised a few times! It's also a side loader - never thought I'd go one one again after the Lady went.

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yep, didn't know she was a side loader. 

Any boat’s a sideloader if you try hard enough. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, John Wright said:

What ship’s lifeboat?

The boat in the pictures is part of the evacuation system on the Manxman, when all the survivors are aboard the floaty type thingy's they are set free and the two man lifeboat shepherd's them away from the sinking hulk. I think it may be designed to withstand the rigours of a storm so hence using the term lifeboat.