Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

59 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

As I've said before. This is not new. Has happened for 3 decades. Happened a few times recently at the old berth. Strong NW winds are relatively  unusual so that's why it doesn't occur more often.

Of course if the conditions are really rough there would be issues with either arrangement, but most of the time with the pontoon, the boat and the berth are at the same constant level whatever the time of day. At the Half Tide Dock, because the linkspan is ashore, there have already been delays/problems solely due to the tide times, and this is new.

15 minutes ago, woolley said:

Of course if the conditions are really rough there would be issues with either arrangement, but most of the time with the pontoon, the boat and the berth are at the same constant level whatever the time of day. At the Half Tide Dock, because the linkspan is ashore, there have already been delays/problems solely due to the tide times, and this is new.

The new linkspan is floating though, so there's not a difference between level of stern door and level of linkspan. The tide issue I believe was just once? Today and yesterday was down to NW wind and the state of the tide creating a swell (albeit from what I've seen, minor!).

6 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

The new linkspan is floating though, so there's not a difference between level of stern door and level of linkspan. The tide issue I believe was just once? Today and yesterday was down to NW wind and the state of the tide creating a swell (albeit from what I've seen, minor!).

Aye. But only one end of it is floating.........

2 hours ago, Casta said:

We're off now, thankfuly. We've been given the safety message ending: "ooh arr, and if you don't pay attention young man I'll 'ave you up in the crows nest".  I was waiting for references to Roger the Cook and Seaman Staines but they never came.

There's a bit of a swell now we're asail (a nautical term) but absolutely nothing noticeable onboard.

I am happy and hopeful to accept that the cause of the situation is a rare occasion. All passengers onboard have taken the situation very well and no moaning (just some saddo texting to Manx Forums).

I always thought it was Roger the cabin boy. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 6:57 AM, John Wright said:

It’s a rescue boat, not a lifeboat. The “floaty type thingy’s” are safety rafts.

They’re all floaty type things technically. First time on the Manxman since the very first passenger journey. Still looks good. Quieter than I thought with MGP on. 

IMG_8647.jpeg

IMG_8646.jpeg

On 8/23/2024 at 2:58 PM, Casta said:

One of the mooring lines has just snapped.

In reply to @Amadeus confused reaction. The vessel was tied up alongside the terminal and bobbing up and down when one of the ropes snapped. It's a heavy object I s'pose, especially when loaded, the ropes have a limit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Casta said:

In reply to @Amadeus confused reaction. The vessel was tied up alongside the terminal and bobbing up and down when one of the ropes snapped. It's a heavy object I s'pose, especially when loaded, the ropes have a limit.

Lucky nobody was in its path. 

• Like 1

Got the boat back from Liverpool today, smooth. Terminal is ok I guess, though it looks very shallow there at low tide. I'm sure it's fine really. The bit they've welded on to the front of the boat looks weird and amateur. I'm sure that's fine too.

It was preposterously windy in Liverpool yesterday morning, trees in full leaf don't like storms like that, branches down all over the place. Glad I'd decided to have a spare day there before coming back, that was lucky.

Edited by TheTeapot

27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Got the boat back from Liverpool today, smooth. Terminal is ok I guess, though it looks very shallow there at low tide. I'm sure it's fine really. The bit they've welded on to the front of the boat looks weird and amateur. I'm sure that's fine too.

It was preposterously windy in Liverpool yesterday morning, trees in full leaf don't like storms like that, branches down all over the place. Glad I'd decided to have a spare day there before coming back, that was lucky.

Stairway to Heaven

6 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

So, in effect, was the cook. Although, until your post, nobody actually mentioned Captain Pugwash. 

The reference earlier to 'Seaman Staines' pointed to Pugwash. In the series, there wasn't a named cook character, and Seaman Staines wasn't a character either. Master Bates is another who didn't exist.

• Like 1