Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

you were right about the fluid dynamics spookster , and about the boat being unfit for use ...i also like the fact you would bother your arse to write an open letter to the steam packet ...fair play to you .as a footnote,they been taking the piss with cancellations for a slight breeze for last few years now , at least on a par with the mountain and "snow"

• Like 1

I think we all know that Mr Woodward is one of the ten or so people,

and then Mr Bell is another. He reads manxforums more than he runs the country, surely

The lady that runs the airport or harbour or whatever. She must read here a lot

Then there's that bastard that lets his dog shit on the pavements all over Douglas.

And the woman (not being sexist, she was reported on manxforums to be a woman) that can't use Quarter Bridge roundabout.

Any suggestions who might be the others?

I read that Woodward is asking for passengers delayed by the gross inadequacies of the ferry to be reasonable.

Oh you read that; must be absolutely true then.

Funny because I just went to the 3FM webpage where the headline reads 'SPC calls for passengers to be 'realistic' over problems'

What he actually says is 'people' have to be realistic about 'what could be achieved' regarding immunity from third party damage.

I don't suppose editors or journalists would ever 'edit' sound bytes to suit their means....

I read that Woodward is asking for passengers delayed by the gross inadequacies of the ferry to be reasonable.

Oh you read that; must be absolutely true then.

Funny because I just went to the 3FM webpage where the headline reads 'SPC calls for passengers to be 'realistic' over problems'

What he actually says is 'people' have to be realistic about 'what could be achieved' regarding immunity from third party damage.

I don't suppose editors or journalists would ever 'edit' sound bytes to suit their means....

It matters not one jot. The fact remains that the customers have not been put as the number one priority.

YOU be reasonable. The ferry enjoy a monopoly on the surface route to the Island. It is self evident that the service that you provide is inadequate and because of the failures of the vessels used being caused by the environment within the Irish Sea that the vessels are unfit for purpose.

The ferry company that you manage have massively disrupted the plans of your customers and no doubt in some cases with tragic results.

A reasonable response would be to use best endeavours to provide a link to and from the Island and one measure that you should have employed would be to arrange air links for people who had urgent need.

To be frank telling customers to be reasonable is utterly disgusting. Reasonable is to expect a little delay but the ferry company, and in this case that means YOU to have used best endeavours to transport people to where they expected to be transported.

Had you done so then one outcome would be to have turned what is becoming a public relations disaster into a public relations success, instead you are expecting your customers to be 'reasonable'.

I don't know what your 2015/6 advertising budget is but believe me, it will be a total waste of money now.

Your response has been an advertising campaign all of its own. But what you've advertised is the very thing that no business that relies on the general public wants to be advertised. Especially on the biggest social network of them all.

Woodward, you have not done good.

Do you really think that the Steam Packet should be flying people instead? How do you prove that you have an "urgent need"?

In addition to that, due to fog the planes weren't running either at the weekend or were fully booked for several days.

You say that their advertising campaign is useless. I don't know why they advertise in the IOM as there isn't anyone else to use if you don't want to go by boat!

Most people I speak to are fully aware of the Steam Packet and the issues that can occur when one of their boats breaks down. Just like flying, whenever you travel on or off the island, you should always take into account that the plane or ferry may be cancelled or delayed which may affect any onward journey or connection, or if you have/must got to be back by a certain date, then book the day before so that if the ferry is cancelled, you can try and get a flight or some other way over.

A lot of people were moved onto the Ben, but this then had issues with getting into Heysham due to the fog. Equally, the Manannan has had issues if the fog is too bad in the Mersey and it can't birth at Liverpool.

Condor Ferries in the Channel islands have just got a new £50million fast craft which crashed into a harbour wall on it's third journey. It then went out of action for a week whilst getting fixed. Luckily, they still have their old craft which hadn't left the UK for it's new home, so after a couple of days getting it "ship shape" again, they were able to use that. In the meantime, they transferred the passengers where possible onto their conventional ferry. Now the new boat is back and they have an issue with one of it's engines meaning trips are taking longer thus affecting their timetable. So it's not just here!

• Like 3

So here's an open letter to Woodward.

YOU be reasonable. The ferry enjoy a monopoly on the surface route to the Island. It is self evident that the service that you provide is inadequate and because of the failures of the vessels used being caused by the environment within the Irish Sea that the vessels are unfit for purpose.

The ferry company that you manage have massively disrupted the plans of your customers and no doubt in some cases with tragic results.

A reasonable response would be to use best endeavours to provide a link to and from the Island and one measure that you should have employed would be to arrange air links for people who had urgent need.

To be frank telling customers to be reasonable is utterly disgusting. Reasonable is to expect a little delay but the ferry company, and in this case that means YOU to have used best endeavours to transport people to where they expected to be transported.

Had you done so then one outcome would be to have turned what is becoming a public relations disaster into a public relations success, instead you are expecting your customers to be 'reasonable'.

I don't know what your 2015/6 advertising budget is but believe me, it will be a total waste of money now.

Your response has been an advertising campaign all of its own. But what you've advertised is the very thing that no business that relies on the general public wants to be advertised. Especially on the biggest social network of them all.

Ask an adult to rewrite it for you

• Like 4

I think we all know that Mr Woodward is one of the ten or so people,

and then Mr Bell is another. He reads manxforums more than he runs the country, surely

The lady that runs the airport or harbour or whatever. She must read here a lot

Then there's that bastard that lets his dog shit on the pavements all over Douglas.

And the woman (not being sexist, she was reported on manxforums to be a woman) that can't use Quarter Bridge roundabout.

Any suggestions who might be the others?

Wann, I think you have misunderstood what was meant. Roxanne meant that 10 posters were the same person ! (I think)

So here's an open letter to Woodward.

I quite often agree with what you post, but I think you have lost the plot with this post.

Re-read it very slowly again then ask yourself if you would still post it.

• Like 2

Given all the comments on this forum on the Steam Packet without doubt the Easter weekend has been a disaster for a considerable amount of people travelling to and from the Island.

Our reputation has been considerable damaged.

The response from those who are elected to protect our interests have gone AWOL (absent with out leave)

What a mess.

Will our media now confront those in power about these issues?

• Like 1