Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Some angry posters on FB this morning about the 12:00 cancellation.  A few 100 tourists with no where to stay kicked out into the maelstrom last night. 

Surely they would have let people stay in the terminal?

Abysmal service, if not.

• Like 3

Steam Packet Survey

Are we doing a great job?

Select below

Yes     Yes

If you answered Yes, on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) where would you rate us?

Select below

Our prices are value for money - should you pay more?

Select below

Yes    Yes

If you answered Yes, on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the highest) how much extra would you like to spend?

Select below

1500+

The Government own the Steam Packet but let it run at the end of some very, very long arms.  How long?

Select below (in Nautical Miles)

1000___________________________________________________________________ The Star Ship Red Dwarf has yet to catch up.

The Manxman does a great job and should be the only boat we ever need.

On a scale of 1 to 12 which month (this year) would you like us to sell the other three?

• Haha 7

probably was the ramp which was 'bumped' into by the Manxman - it's a right pain when coach transfers are required. last time the boat damaged Peel holdings equipment it took weeks to fix.

Another right pain is the IoMSPCo survey (I dropped out once I saw the type of questions)- can't see why they claim anonymity it obviously links to Google and provides Google with many details which to me seem unrelated to the boat.

I was on Friday morning’s crossing to Liverpool on the (motor)bike. It was very busy checking in due to the Liverpool sailing late and people turning up for both crossings at the same time. I have to say the SPC managed it well and got everyone for Liverpool checked in and boarded while marshalling the Heysham pax and vehicles. When we came off we were indeed at a different birth, fine for vehicles but the passengers had to wait to be coached off and taken to the terminal. It also meant they missed the train connection but SPC said they’d put on a coach on to Lancaster for that. It also stated in an email for my return later this week that freight will take longer to load from this different dock and to expect delays. I think it will be ok with a vehicle but tiresome for a foot passenger. 

Edited by Steve_Christian
Spelling

5 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

... It also stated in an email for my return later this week that freight will take longer to load from this different dock and to expect delays. I think it will be ok with a vehicle but tiresome for a foot passenger. 

The 2 return journeys a day are critically dependant on keeping the loading + offloading times low - Manxman seems to have been consistently slower than the Ben - it would seem that this forced change of berth could give considerable problems.

1 hour ago, Frances said:

The 2 return journeys a day are critically dependant on keeping the loading + offloading times low - Manxman seems to have been consistently slower than the Ben - it would seem that this forced change of berth could give considerable problems.

Manxman is  larger with more freight , passengers and vehicles so would take longer .

49 minutes ago, Banker said:

Manxman is  larger with more freight , passengers and vehicles so would take longer .

Except there’s no evidence, apart from TT, and immediately after a series of cancellations, that it sails at full capacity or is carrying more than the Ben did.

49 minutes ago, Banker said:

only 10% extra freight space - however I judge from monthy return journeys over the winter sailings when I doubt that freight had significantly increased over the previous years  and passenger numbers looked no more than the Ben carried in previous years - but maybe you manage to travel on busy days ?

I think it is the design of Manxman that makes freight loading considerably slower coupled with the demonstrated difficulties of using a much larger boat in a seriously confined port.