Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

No. It's not just windy in Heysham, it's windy all the way up the Irish sea. 

It will make a big difference. When Ben went to Birkenhead she'd sail in far stronger winds because she wasn't having to dock at Heysham. Weather routing easier from Liverpool too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lfc84 said:

Cancelled tonight sue to wind in Heysham.

Once Manxman has done berthing trials in Liverpool will they reroute to Liverpool instead on the occasions when it's deemed to windy in Heysham?

8 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

It will make a big difference. When Ben went to Birkenhead she'd sail in far stronger winds because she wasn't having to dock at Heysham. Weather routing easier from Liverpool too.

The can’t just change port at the drop of a hat. They won’t be employing staff at Liverpool in winter, apart from the 20 weekends. So no one to tie up and let go, no check in, no security.

Plus they can’t divert mid sail, as they can’t load/unload trailers, due to planning, and they don’t have tug masters at Liverpool, or stevedores to run them.

• Like 2

I look at the cruise liners, always a picture of calm serenity and ease, that are usually berthed along their pontoons just in front of the IoM Terminal. What was the reason we went for a different loading system? Please don't tell me it was to save money.

3 hours ago, Casta said:

I look at the cruise liners, always a picture of calm serenity and ease, that are usually berthed along their pontoons just in front of the IoM Terminal. What was the reason we went for a different loading system? Please don't tell me it was to save money.

What else would it be for?

Having been given notice to vacate the floating landing stage, either due to end of life or cruise terminal expansion, can you not see how much more it would cost to build a new floating landing stage with three long pontoon to dry land anchors plus a roadway access, and then a ramp attached to the pontoon for ship access.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Casta said:

They don't load cars onto Cruise Liners. 

• Like 1

On Liverpool boat, not left yet & no reason for delay given although boat late in.

No issues with that but they called everyone up to board & then kept everyone standing in the hall in sweltering heat for 30 minutes before we finally started moving!!

Aircon in security areas & down corridor which had nice breeze & in shade!!

and website still showing 15.00 depart but still here!

Edited by Banker

23 minutes ago, Banker said:

On Liverpool boat, not left yet & no reason for delay given although boat late in.

No issues with that but they called everyone up to board & then kept everyone standing in the hall in sweltering heat for 30 minutes before we finally started moving!!

Aircon in security areas & down corridor which had nice breeze & in shade!!

and website still showing 15.00 depart but still here!

They're probably trying to find the source of that continuous whine

• Haha 2