Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

On 9/6/2024 at 12:22 PM, John Wright said:

What else would it be for?

Having been given notice to vacate the floating landing stage, either due to end of life or cruise terminal expansion, can you not see how much more it would cost to build a new floating landing stage with three long pontoon to dry land anchors plus a roadway access, and then a ramp attached to the pontoon for ship access.

Yes it would cost a lot more, but the current arrangement cost us a shed load more than the estimate which was the work of the finest experts we could find. We were screwed for many £millions.

At times the current arrangement is ok, but too often it is not fit for purpose.

Edited by Casta
Edited for brevity

3 hours ago, Gizo said:

Seen the state of the day trip offerings with this shambles, during winter. Liverpool offering a 2hr window between sailings. 

No different to when they used to go to Birkenhead 🤷‍♂️

There's are a couple of Saturday they're doing a slightly longer day with a 7pm return though

13 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Difficult to do day trips when the sailing is 4.25 hours each way. 

That's probably only on a good day...... but I may be wrong..... she may be super-dooper when she has had her programmed overhaul, and had all those "teething problems" sorted out.

the Lady of Man was able to give plenty of time ashore on Saturdays with a four hour crossing.

they used to cater for the football crowd then with 11.00am arrival at the landing stage and a 7.00pm departure some times delayed if the local game was a late kick off.  it could be done then why not now.  Christmas shopping was another possible late departure.  The John Lennon concert at the Pier Head another example, The Monas Queen departed after the concert ended, about 10.30 pm I think.

Edited by Manxman2000
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Manxman2000 said:

the Lady of Man was able to give plenty of time ashore on Saturdays with a four hour crossing.

they used to cater for the football crowd then with 11.00am arrival at the landing stage and a 7.00pm departure some times delayed if the local game was a late kick off.  it could be done then why not now.  Christmas shopping was another possible late departure.  The John Lennon concert at the Pier Head another example, The Monas Queen departed after the concert ended, about 10.30 pm I think.

And this where the whole Liverpool landing stage started. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Manxman2000 said:

she won't have been so tide dependent though ,

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And this where the whole Liverpool landing stage started. 

Yup. The IoM life priorities of Anfield and Liverpool One.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

...and the perennial "Let's build a cruise terminal" folly.

I've watched Douglas Promenade get a bit of a topping, I've seen the Liverpool Terminal being built.

I've seen those huge fuck ups of financial disasters, and the grinning sharks that have orchestrated them.

Don't even joke about a Cruise Terminal.

ETA:

Oh go on then, I'll add The Incinerator. And IRIS. And whatver else.

And wtf ever happened about The New Hospital? Some unknown company with a Manx name in it, evolves, takes the money and goes bank. How much did that fiasco cost the Isle of Man Taxpayer? (Sorry, I meant to say National Insurance contributor, the Chief Minister of the day - Hi Tony! - insists the New Hospital didn't cost the Manx Taxpayer a single penny.....)

Edited by Barlow

23 hours ago, Gizo said:

Seen the state of the day trip offerings with this shambles, during winter. Liverpool offering a 2hr window between sailings. 

Well obviously only a complete idiot would do that unless you’re just picking up something 

57 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well obviously only a complete idiot would do that unless you’re just picking up something 

the Heysham crossings often had one or two doing just that - usually moving a dog or pet, sometimes cars and sometimes documents