Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

If I do football, I always budget for flying and often an overnight. You simply can't rely on the racket. And turning up as a foot passenger at 2.15am at the godforsaken shithole that is Heysham, after hanging around in the godforsaken shithole that is Lancaster after 10pm, is not worth considering. 

14 hours ago, John Wright said:

Quite. Plus, whether it does 1 or 2 rotations daily, the important one is the 02.15 Monday to Saturday mornings  to get stuff on the supermarket shelves for 08.00 and the post over.

The mail boat *sniggers*. I remember when the mail went by plane. Oh they were the days.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

godforsaken shithole that is Heysham, after hanging around in the godforsaken shithole that is Lancaster after 10pm, is not worth considering. 

Couldnt agree with you more on both accounts... born and bred here,left at 18 and only came back because the wife wanted to, unfortuntly dead set against moving due to the Steam Packets performance this year and some other things. 

T

Edited by ccsnet

23 minutes ago, Barlow said:

The mail boat *sniggers*. I remember when the mail went by plane. Oh they were the days.

Ah, but I remember when it went by boat before that. Manx boats were designated RMS because they had the post contract.

At Christmas we had 5 sailings cancelled we were booked onto.

This time ferry over cancelled and now cancelled with all foreseeable dates cancelled. Totally understand bad weather, they can't help that.

However, getting an SMS at 5 minutes before the deadline each time with no assistance for those stuck isn't really acceptable given how expensive it is. 

Even more frustratingly, I have loads of ads on Facebook for the Steam packet with happy faces suggesting I book a holiday with them.....

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Ah, but I remember when it went by boat before that. Manx boats were designated RMS because they had the post contract.

Yes, lots of mail sacks all the time when I was younger. A relative worked at post office c50 years ago and used to say the sacks were piled upto roof at Xmas, probably an exaggeration but there were lots. Not sure when Mail by p,and started but there’s always been the vast bulk of parcels coming by sea.

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Just like the Titanic. 

And the Ellan Vannin. Put to sea under pressure to forward the mail.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And the Ellan Vannin. Put to sea under pressure to forward the mail.

As the song mentions, sadly.

I suppose at one time there were many ships contracted to carry the mail.   One of the last, if not the last, was the RMS St Helena which operated between the UK, St Helena and South Africa, but they now, very recently, have an airport. 

23 minutes ago, trench12 said:

The RMS St Helena sailed between South Africa (Cape Town) St Helena and Ascension Island, we were able to ‘post mail ‘ whilst we were sailing on the RMS  

She also sailed to the UK, Cardiff. Her route may have changed latterly, but definitely she did the long route from the UK to South Africa. 

So you sailed on her?

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

She also sailed to the UK, Cardiff. Her route may have changed latterly, but definitely she did the long route from the UK to South Africa. 

So you sailed on her?

Think she only did UK twice  a year. Portland. Via Vigo and Tenerife. That stopped around 2010. 

8 hours ago, John Wright said:

I take my hat off to you sir, the mail plane was inauguarated  1934.