Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Arrow is sat in Larne and Ben tootling round the bay. No free linkspans in Douglas until Manannan moves at 3pm... maybe Ben will head in to load up then?

I notice that thr two usual freight ships are late into Heysham today. An hour or two away now, presumably waited for the winds to ease.

ETA - meant to quote the Teapot - not sure how to amend!

Edited by Capt_Mainwaring
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Arrow is sat in Larne and Ben tootling round the bay. No free linkspans in Douglas until Manannan moves at 3pm... maybe Ben will head in to load up then?

I notice that thr two usual freight ships are late into Heysham today. An hour or two away now, presumably waited for the winds to ease.

ETA - meant to quote the Teapot - not sure how to amend!

Not surprised the two freight  ships delayed. They are both bigger than Manxman. 

4 hours ago, Barlow said:

Certainly very little was carried on the first trip to Belfast! (1935).

ETA:

1935Septemberflight-smallbag01.jpg.74ae50ff92d514bfa09320569966fbc8.jpg

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

The first airmail, in 1934 was a letter from the Governor to HMPostmaster General, and one from the deputy Mayor to the Lord Mayor of Manchester. Ronaldsway to Ringway ( and on to London for HMPG by train )

And you say you remember before then. That is good going. These days I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

the way I see it is that a cockup was made at initial design stage.

the conversation should have go along the lines of - The Ben has been a good workhorse and very reliable for over 20 years. We do however have issues with docking and manoeuvring in certain weather at Heysham. Our new boat should be a tad smaller and more weather tolerant for our route. Modern design can ensure it can be more comfortable and carry more cargo.

Instead we have ended up with a bigger boat which is less manoeuvrable.