Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

53 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I don’t particularly buy the “Windage” argument. Many, much bigger ships don’t seem to be affected by this. I doubt Manxman with its very powerful thrusters is. 

wasn't there a picture posted of it berthed in douglas harbour with a tug pushing against it to help hold it in place ????

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

wasn't there a picture posted of it berthed in douglas harbour with a tug pushing against it to help hold it in place ????

Yes. Wasn’t that just after he arrived here about a year ago. One of the first times trying to maneuver in the harbour? There were fears IOMG would have to buy a bigger tug as the little Laxey one was not powerful enough. I have not known the tug used since. 

7 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Can you provide a link?   Or post the pic here?

dunno where it is/was to link to, but cambon also remembers it so maybe they have a clue , likely this forum or even this thread if i saw it ???

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

don’t particularly buy the “Windage” argument. Many, much bigger ships don’t seem to be affected by this. I doubt Manxman with its very powerful thrusters is. 

Of course it has much greater windage. That’s a fact given how slab sided it is, and, unlike most freight only ferries, has no cut throughs.

That then brings into play mitigating factors, training and skill of the master, power of engines and thrusters, where it’s manoeuvring, and how much space there is.

The Stena and Sea Truck ferries at Heysham are considerably longer but are lower and have cut throughs. They’ve much less windage. The Ben isn’t as high and only has raised superstructure for about 50% of her length.

IMG_5502.jpeg

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5504.jpeg

IMG_5505.jpeg

IMG_5506.jpeg

IMG_5507.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WTF said:

Don't forget the snapped mooring lines and the injured employee of nearly a year ago.

37 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Of course it has much greater windage. That’s a fact given how slab sided it is, and, unlike most freight only ferries, has no cut throughs.

That then brings into play mitigating factors, training and skill of the master, power of engines and thrusters, where it’s manoeuvring, and how much space there is.

The Stena and Sea Truck ferries at Heysham are considerably longer but are lower and have cut throughs. They’ve much less windage. The Ben isn’t as high and only has raised superstructure for about 50% of her length.

IMG_5502.jpeg

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5504.jpeg

IMG_5505.jpeg

IMG_5506.jpeg

IMG_5507.jpeg

I agree, but again, Manxman is much more powerful. Besides my point is people blame windage for cancellations, I blame health and safety. 

2 hours ago, WTF said:

That wasn't so much to do with the boat. It was for fear she would rip the old pier from its position prior to the upgrade work recently completed. This was also why she put to sea in the worst of weather rather than stay alongside, giving the lie to rumours that she isn't fit for bad weather.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WTF said:

dunno where it is/was to link to, but cambon also remembers it so maybe they have a clue , likely this forum or even this thread if i saw it ???

Not Douglas:

https://www.manxforums.com/topic/51445-steam-packet-warns-of-disruption-to-sailings/?do=findComment&comment=1618548

Edited by Barlow

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

I agree, but again, Manxman is much more powerful. Besides my point is people blame windage for cancellations, I blame health and safety. 

It's about balancing risk, comfort, load, necessity and urgency. No point taking on a rough crossing if you don't need to.

Pain in the arse if you are traveling and have onwards commitments though.

Do you remember a few months ago when they were stacking up, it sailed in pretty bad conditions, because it needed to. 

• Like 1