Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

maybe the Ben can be returned to service earlier and the Manxman sent to the Mersey to recuperate and try docking without damaging the ramp - the weather forecast being occasionally force 7 - obviously it's the wrong direction for a port for which the boat was explicitly designed to serve.

On 9/24/2024 at 11:48 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Steam Packet wins at food and drink awards...

"Accessible fun food served in a relaxed atmosphere is the focus, and the menu is created using only the best local producers and suppliers, with a team made up of people who genuinely love their craft.

The judges were impressed with its inspiring story and successful launch, while also noting the staff’s passion and loyalty.

With ambitious plans, the judges felt there was significant potential for ongoing success."

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/24597098.steam-packet-pub-named-best-newcomer-food-drink-awards/

I was at university in Norwich and know that area - don't remeber the Steam Packet though. Mind you, a lot of my time there is a bit of a blur

On 8/23/2024 at 11:14 AM, Boo Gay'n said:

I said in a previous post that the new jerry-rigged structure on Manannan - to allow the "jet bridge" to connect at low tide looks weird.  It wouldn't surprise me that either the landside or onboard equipment gets damaged soon by the movement of the boat, because it all looks a bit cobbled together.

I was curious about this structure, I've not seen any photos of it in use, how does it help at low tide? There does seem to be a lot of movement between the ship and the jet bridge when docked. There are a number of other berthing trial videos on the same youtube channel

53 minutes ago, lan said:

I was curious about this structure, I've not seen any photos of it in use, how does it help at low tide? There does seem to be a lot of movement between the ship and the jet bridge when docked.

The mobile ramp for footies cannot reach down far enough at low tide thus the extra set of steps jerry-rigged to add sufficient height for the capable footies to exit (those unable to climb steps are conveyed on the courtesy bus via the ramp).

Whilst waiting for the ramp to be driven into position I asked one of the staff if it had been used - yes a few times was answer - no significant problems other than the 8 steps or so.

5 minutes ago, emesde said:

Just seen the Ben my Chree arriving in Douglas from Heysham.  Not on the steam packet  latest sailings list.

Been to collect Bananas etc? To fill those supermarket shelves.?

I would imagine so. Unfortunately whilst the Manxman has sailed albeit delayed sailings, there have been empty shelves in many retail food establishments. M&S had empty shelves - certainly little fresh fruit, salad and vegetables, and deliveries are getting to M&S late. Sadly empty shelves are now going to be a regular occurrence. 

9 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Sadly empty shelves are now going to be a regular occurrence. 

I think that people have become unnecessarily accustomed to things being available instantaneously, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

When I was a child, shops were closed for half a day on a Wednesday, and not open on a Sunday.

When I first lived in Germany, shops closed at midday on a Saturday.

People managed to exist.

How about you people go back to the days in the Old West (America, not Peel), when you had to order a wife by mail order, and you had to wait weeks for the order to be delivered - returns not accepted.

20 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

How about you people go back to the days in the Old West (America, not Peel), when you had to order a wife by mail order, and you had to wait weeks for the order to be delivered - returns not accepted.

I think if you walk through Strand Street spotting 50+ guys and some of their partners...then we already have.

2 hours ago, Frances said:

The mobile ramp for footies cannot reach down far enough at low tide thus the extra set of steps jerry-rigged to add sufficient height for the capable footies to exit (those unable to climb steps are conveyed on the courtesy bus via the ramp).

Whilst waiting for the ramp to be driven into position I asked one of the staff if it had been used - yes a few times was answer - no significant problems other than the 8 steps or so.

Jury rigged?

On 9/24/2024 at 11:48 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Steam Packet wins at food and drink awards...

"Accessible fun food served in a relaxed atmosphere is the focus, and the menu is created using only the best local producers and suppliers, with a team made up of people who genuinely love their craft.

The judges were impressed with its inspiring story and successful launch, while also noting the staff’s passion and loyalty.

With ambitious plans, the judges felt there was significant potential for ongoing success."

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/24597098.steam-packet-pub-named-best-newcomer-food-drink-awards/

We should be twinned with this pub.

Might get a few visitors from Norfolk.

2 hours ago, emesde said:

Just seen the Ben my Chree arriving in Douglas from Heysham.  Not on the steam packet  latest sailings list.

Been to collect Bananas etc? To fill those supermarket shelves.?

As the parent of a teenager I can only hope that the banana run has been successful. There are not enough bananas on the Isle right now to meet their dietary requirements. The small organic not-quite-ripe snack bananas from M&S are not adequate for lunchboxes. 

I'm pretty sure they'll still be blaming me for their starvation when I'm a granny.

1 minute ago, Ivy said:

As the parent of a teenager I can only hope that the banana run has been successful. There are not enough bananas on the Isle right now to meet their dietary requirements. The small organic not-quite-ripe snack bananas from M&S are not adequate for lunchboxes. 

I'm pretty sure they'll still be blaming me for their starvation when I'm a granny.

Don't take the shortage personally.

I believe the problem is at the main customs point in Southampton where most of the fruit arrives. 

New staff had been over zealous in sorting and grading bananas in particular. They had been told to only accept top grade product and were found to be throwing out all the bent ones..