Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Can't be tidal conditions. Low tide in Heysham is 00.53 and 13.39 tomorrow, so the retimings make the sailings closer to low tide! There's a bit of wind due, in the afternoon, maybe.

The connecting train is due into Heysham at 13.14. Intending ship passengers can't check in by 12.45.

What are they supposed to do? Wave the ship bye bye and then wait for the overnight boat?

What's it all in aid of?

8 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

The connecting train is due into Heysham at 13.14. Intending ship passengers can't check in by 12.45.

What are they supposed to do?

Going the other way, I was on the Heysham sailing, (BMC) Tuesday last week, she was alongside for @ 12.15pm on time. However the usual berth is/was still out of action so she had to use the berth opposite.

Disembarking foot passengers were delayed well over 40 minutes because the cars have to disembark first and then 2 coaches embark to take the foot passengers right around the freight marshaling area to the front of the Terminal.

This made it very tight for those intending to catch the train and it was stated that waiting for disembarkation is entirely at the discretion of the train driver on the day, who obviously has a schedule to keep to.

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

What's it all in aid of?

Wind, the limits on the current berths are way lower than those on the usual berth.

ETA:

Wind

SW 5 or 6, occasionally 7, veering W or NW in the afternoon, veering N or NE 2 to 4 overnight into Sunday.

StateOfSea

Mainly moderate, perhaps rough for a time, becoming mainly slight later.

Edited by Capt_Mainwaring

7 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Wind, the limits on the current berths are way lower than those on the usual berth.

ETA:

Wind

SW 5 or 6, occasionally 7, veering W or NW in the afternoon, veering N or NE 2 to 4 overnight into Sunday.

StateOfSea

Mainly moderate, perhaps rough for a time, becoming mainly slight later.

Any news on when usual berth will be back in service ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I have no idea what weather forecast they are using. What adverse weather conditions are they talking about?

Go early today, don’t show the Manxman up, don’t go so far as clobbering the link span though.  

good blow coming through from 1600 peak at 1900 in Heysham Lake 40mph. About 35 to 38 at the harbour.  

generally about 35 to 40 mph on the Irish Sea by 1900. Not nice. 

Edited by Manxman2000

44 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Great news. Had to use Ben on Sunday. Reminded me how awful it is. Hopefully Manxman will be back for our return.

Agreed.   Memories are short and the Ben seems to have a fan club on here - but the Manxman is so much better for the passengers.

52 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Great news. Had to use Ben on Sunday. Reminded me how awful it is. Hopefully Manxman will be back for our return. 

I haven’t been on the Manxman yet but I don’t think the Ben is awful. I have had some really bad crossings on the Ben, but I have never thought of them as awful.  And that’s traveling in the dog lounge.  

Edited by Manxman2000
  • Like 1