Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Interesting weekend coming up for the newly repaired Manxman. 

It's so typical too over the past few weeks when the weather hasn't been a problem. The experts are going to be out in force !

I'm booked on it Sunday morning.... I don't see it going.

2 hours ago, lfc84 said:

The train wasn't held back past 13:30

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G32313/2024-10-14#allox_id=0

It departed 13:28

As I posted a few days ago, accommodating delays of passengers disembarking the boat is apparently the discretion of the train driver of the day, perhaps some may not be as accommodating...? That departure time is still 8min behind schedule, hopefully it can be made up along the route to Lancaster.

54 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I was just looking at the route the railway line takes to get to Lancaster. 

I wonder what the passenger numbers are for it? It's sort of crying out for a coach transfer to Lancaster, which would surely be a shorter journey time? 

The journey time is about the same, depending on the time of day, because you have to go round the one way system in Lancaster to get to the station. Google maps has it at 28 minutes; the train takes 29. Probably 7-10 minutes by helicopter including take off and landing.

Edited by Harry Lamb

that journey by coach can be even longer, a few weeks ago Lancaster was jammed solid as construction work had blocked a key route in the city.

I'm old enough to have travelled on the electric trains between Lancaster and Morecambe which also went to Heysham  - but they were the wrong type and the route was swept away in the Beeching cuts.

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

As I posted a few days ago, accommodating delays of passengers disembarking the boat is apparently the discretion of the train driver of the day, perhaps some may not be as accommodating...? That departure time is still 8min behind schedule, hopefully it can be made up along the route to Lancaster.

They are allowed to delay by 10 minutes. The link I posted shows that it is possible to make up time along the way

8 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

It's so typical too over the past few weeks when the weather hasn't been a problem. The experts are going to be out in force !

I'm booked on it Sunday morning.... I don't see it going.

It's going today, and the forecast is similar to Sunday. So you may be OK 🙂

On 10/15/2024 at 10:23 AM, Casta said:

Ps yes I know kids will be kids and they were enjoying themselves in their excitement etc and yes I was once young too, but there are limits. Two to three hours constant is well past those limits.

Kids aren’t allowed in the premium lounge. I usually find it £25 well spent on the Manxman.

As for the train, the bigger surprise is that it ran. It gets cancelled as often as it runs due to Northern’s own staffing issues. If I’m going to Lancaster I normally walk up  the road to where that shop is and get the 2X bus direct into Lancaster. And I make sure I get off at the start of the one way…