Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

11 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

It was nearly a triple, there seemed to be some glitch.

Quite a significant system due, the experts will probably name it if they haven't already. Might stay offshore of the island of Ireland but should bring some pretty strong impacts regardless. 

Id not want to be on a boat on the Irish sea on Sunday anyway

The name is in the post immediately before

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

What is this crap about naming storms or heavy winds as they were known in my youth.

It’s a missed opportunity - it’s all very well applying names like Alex or Barbara, but if they’re going to do it, make it informative; ‘Storm Better Stay Indoors’, ‘Storm Quite Dodgy’ and for real hoolies, ‘Storm Bastard’ or ‘Storm FFS’. 

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2024 at 8:18 AM, WTF said:

you'd be lucky to be on  a boat in the irish sea any day of the week with the current set up.

I wonder if the real reason for the Manxman sailings getting cancelled when it's marginal is because it's a bigger boat and they calculate that they can catch up more quickly than they could with the Ben. Therefore if there is doubt, they cancel. 🤔 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I wonder if the real reason for the Manxman sailings getting cancelled when it's marginal is because it's a bigger boat and they calculate that they can catch up more quickly than they could with the Ben. Therefore if there is doubt, they cancel. 🤔 

Probably not.  The limiting factor at this time of year will be freight and as the Steam Packet themselves admit the Manxman isn't that much bigger than the Ben in that regard:

Manxman has a passenger capacity of 948, that’s over 300 more than the Ben-my-Chree. It has 10% more lane capacity for vehicles too.

So it will only be marginally better at catching up, even assuming it's not affected by the problems with the docking at Heysham.

• Thanks 1

The major freight constraint is the overnight crossing that is required to get stock to the supermarkets in time for the morning shoppers and also fit in with the warehouse timetabling of freight to the port - at one time newspapers were also of concern but I suspect that market is no longer as big as it was a decade ago. If the Arrow were faster then it could handle the freight and in terms of Passenger numbers on winter crossing I would guess even reducing to 3 crossings a week would not see the boat filled

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Probably not.  The limiting factor at this time of year will be freight and as the Steam Packet themselves admit the Manxman isn't that much bigger than the Ben in that regard:

Manxman has a passenger capacity of 948, that’s over 300 more than the Ben-my-Chree. It has 10% more lane capacity for vehicles too.

So it will only be marginally better at catching up, even assuming it's not affected by the problems with the docking at Heysham.

That assumes that either Mx, or Ben, ever approach 50% capacity outside of MGP/TT, half s term and a few Xmas and New Year sailings. They don’t/cant.

Full capacity is 23,900 a week, in winter on Mx. 16,950 each way.