Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

There are people who are members of this forum who actually are experts where some subjects are concerned.

Separating the wheat from the chaff is the hard part though....

Can't argue with that. Applying common sense often helps though, especially where subjects such as IRIS are concerned.

• Like 1

Usual SPC party piece no communication. Things haven't changed much since Geoff Corkish was their mouthpiece

On the other hand...their engineers are superb. I've seen the damage 1st hand and it is extensive. The main problem apart from manufacturing the parts for the repairs is removing and installing the kit in an underwater environment. So full marks to the diving team as well.

Take it as read that those engineers/technicians on the ground are working tirelessly - there no 'Smartphoners' in the workshops. None with an MBE and probably none on the photographs in next weeks Courier.

And I've just seen (17:00, Fri) Mannanan entering Douglas harbour, back from sea trials.

TBT.

• Like 2

So now, Johnny F, instead of the obvious answer - a large foreign object was ingested by Manannan's propulsion system and then clattered about causing extensive damage to that and the trim tab - it is now not only the CEO and the engineering staff of the Steam Packet lying to us, but the external Classification Society Surveyors who inspected the Manannan just three weeks ago. Are you really criticising their inspection techniques?

It must be a conspiracy theorist's dream scenario.

Oh, but don't forget, in that theory, you need to include the P&O ship - what spin can you put on their assertion that they too suffered damage to a trim tab when leaving the Island? Are they in on it too?

It's more a case of Occam's razor - the simplest answer is most often correct - than of conspiracy theory.

Unless your involved in engineering I'd be wasting my time trying to explain it to you. I am certainly no conspiracy theorist never have been never will be. I am simply pointing out that I have first hand knowledge of some of these problems and understand modes of failure. I have not got any information from any one in the pub its all first hand experience.

One thing I would like to say though is the steam packet may have made mistakes and may have communicated badly with the public but they have certainly had more than there fair share of bad luck and for that, I do feel sympathy for them. All I am trying to say is don't believe everything they say about what caused their problems. Bad driving is always a possibility isn't it?

NOTHING WENT THROUGH THE JET

So now, Johnny F, instead of the obvious answer - a large foreign object was ingested by Manannan's propulsion system and then clattered about causing extensive damage to that and the trim tab - it is now not only the CEO and the engineering staff of the Steam Packet lying to us, but the external Classification Society Surveyors who inspected the Manannan just three weeks ago. Are you really criticising their inspection techniques?

It must be a conspiracy theorist's dream scenario.

Oh, but don't forget, in that theory, you need to include the P&O ship - what spin can you put on their assertion that they too suffered damage to a trim tab when leaving the Island? Are they in on it too?

It's more a case of Occam's razor - the simplest answer is most often correct - than of conspiracy theory.

Unless your involved in engineering I'd be wasting my time trying to explain it to you. I am certainly no conspiracy theorist never have been never will be. I am simply pointing out that I have first hand knowledge of some of these problems and understand modes of failure. I have not got any information from any one in the pub its all first hand experience.

One thing I would like to say though is the steam packet may have made mistakes and may have communicated badly with the public but they have certainly had more than there fair share of bad luck and for that, I do feel sympathy for them. All I am trying to say is don't believe everything they say about what caused their problems. Bad driving is always a possibility isn't it?

NOTHING WENT THROUGH THE JET

This,

post-18002-0-55388300-1428699031.jpg

Johnny F

could the sandblasting actually take place on arrival + departure from Douglas - if the water jets are ingesting sand in a confined space bounded by the pier wall which might accentuate the damage - maybe something has changed (eg more sand) around the pier over last winter whilst Mannanan was resting in Liverpool - certainly the jets seemed to have caused damage to the pier in previous years as repairs were necessary