Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Then again we could sign up to this shambolic monopoly for another ten years or whatever & the Steam Packet could carry on as they are.

I actually think that is OK.

The bitching and niggling that goes on, on this subject is unreal.

How can so many posters, who I'm sure know fuck all about business, never mind shipping, are suddenly experts about every thing concerning the ferries and the running of a shipping line.

It is embarrassing to read the utter shite from people like "Spook" and the "engineering expert".

I am considered to be a very negative person, but I feel very, very positive when I come on here and click on any SPCo related thread and read this bollocks.

The boat broke !, that is it. It is now in service again, end of.

Totally agree....I've gone all light headed now ;)

The only criticism which I can levy at the SPCo is the handling by some of the staff of customer issues. I can understand that it must be frustrating dealing with people who don't want to understand that nothing can be done there and then, but a simple 'We are very sorry for all your inconvenience' would help to let people at least think that the staff care.

In short, communication could be much better, God knows they should be used to dealing with cancellations after over 175 years?

Just a rant here whilst having a whisky !

I have just booked a crossing for September 2nd week, has to be then for 2 adults & a car £557.00 , if I had any choice we wouldn't be going but we don't so have to pay. Is there any wonder people find the island unattractive for a short visit and how they hope to attract caravans is beyond me, Government must be firmly convinced money grows on trees !! FFS.

sorry Rant over !!!!!

• Like 3

we were caught up in the cancellations and we had no message from the co. to tell us the boat was broken and when we found out , (from social media and the forum), we could not contact the co at all.......................sooooooo, my gripe is the lack of communication on their part and the fact that we could not contact them to make a new booking.ermm.gif

• Like 1

I have just booked a crossing for September 2nd week, has to be then for 2 adults & a car £557.00 , if I had any choice we wouldn't be going but we don't so have to pay. Is there any wonder people find the island unattractive for a short visit and how they hope to attract caravans is beyond me, Government must be firmly convinced money grows on trees !! FFS.

sorry Rant over !!!!!

Is it an option to go as foot passenger or fly and hire a car across?

TBT.

sorry Rant over !!!!!

Fly and hire invariably works out far cheaper for self and wife. Doing flight to Bristol next week with hire car just over £250 for a week.

sorry Rant over !!!!!

Is it an option to go as foot passenger or fly and hire a car across?

TBT.

Thanks TBT but dog in car so flying is out of the question, I take on board all the comments about small island limited market etc etc, but how can government view these costs as attractive to anyone is beyond me.

Obviously i don't know your full details but I've just checked and car with 2 via Liverpool for a week was £236 Try checking on a different computer or check that the cookies have been deleted.

you tend to forget that little trick, the sneaky way the prices go up whilst you search around different options !

Thanks all, tried all that sort of stuff but I had to book what I needed to, (daughters wedding), my point was that although I found it bloody annoying to even get to those sort of sums I was resigned to having to pay it, however a casual browser thinking of visiting the island with or without caravan etc is going to say stuff it not paying that ! that may be the part of the Governments visitor strategy they have overlooked.

I am largely ambivalent towards the SPCO but do sometimes wonder if Government live in the real world when it comes to people using a short sea crossing to the island and economies of scale arguments don't really hold up when large profits are ( necessarily) being made. If the island is to be attractive for its future prosperity these type of costs don't I am sure help when people and business look at the overall package.

sorry Rant over !!!!!

MGP period by any chance?

• Like 1

I am largely ambivalent towards the SPCO but do sometimes wonder if Government live in the real world when it comes to people using a short sea crossing to the island and economies of scale arguments don't really hold up when large profits are ( necessarily) being made. If the island is to be attractive for its future prosperity these type of costs don't I am sure help when people and business look at the overall package.

I sometimes wonder if people like you live in the real world. Peak periods are the same the world over.

The other side of the coin is the very cheap fares that others on here have referred to at off-peak periods.

• Like 1