Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

That's the Queen Mary 2 when it came to the Cruise Terminal in Liverpool last Sunday, itbuilt then left on Monday morning to go out of the Mersey to meet up with the Queen Elizabeth 2 & the Queen Victoria which had arrived, one from the North after visiting the Orkney Isles & the other from the South after visiting Guernsey.

At noon they sailed up the Mersey in a line with the QE2 leading, then the Queen Victoria & the QM2 taking up the rear to the Pier Head where they did a 180 degree turn together, the Red Arrows arrived at 13.45 to entertain the massive crowds, Great memorable was had with the weather staying dry.

Will there ever be a Cruise Terminal built at Douglas?

Will there ever be a Cruise Terminal built at Douglas?

I guess it could happen, Guernsey has something now and Jersey are looking into it / building one too I believe.

Make it in Ramsey though, there's no decent shops left in Douglas for them to visit anymore tongue.png Hey, they could even use it as an excuse to refurbish the Queens Pier and get the railway line running again :D

• Like 1

Oh look, it's you again, just popping in to spread a little bit more love and joy I see...

Just telling it like it is.

Sorry if it it's not what people might like to hear, but it's how I, and a lot of other people, feel.

Jersey and Guernsey have far far more to offer cruise tourists than the Island. Sorry, but that's a fact.

But the topography on other Islands does lend itself so much more easily to accommodating large harbours and sea terminals. It would be a major pain here. We could have a world beating cruise terminal but we'd have to demolish central Douglas to build it.

I don't think there'd be a return on capital any time this century from a cruise terminal on the Island. They are better off with the current strategy of attracting as many cruises as they can based on tendering ashore from the anchorage in Douglas Bay. They also occasionally get the odd 'expedition' sized cruise ship tied up alongside Victoria Pier. They do have to make sure the anchorages are useable, free from fishing gear etc. as one or two ships in recent years have complained that the anchorage is unusable and moved on to the next destination without putting any passengers ashore.