Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

*** Revised Sailing Schedule for Ben-my-Chree sailings via Heysham & Birkenhead 1st – 4th January 2016 ***

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company sailing schedules over the next several days will have to be revised as Heysham Port Authorities have advised that, in the recent storms, a large piece of timber has broken free and become embedded on the sea bed at the entrance to the Port.

The port authorities are trying to deal with this but have warned the Steam Packet and other port users that they cannot attempt to remove the obstruction before Sunday 3rd at the earliest.

Provisionally, the revised sailing schedule will be as follows:

Friday 1st January 2016

Douglas to Heysham 1945hrs will now depart at 2200hrs

Saturday 2nd January 2016

Heysham to Douglas 0215hrs will now depart at 0330hrs

Douglas to Birkenhead 0800hrs will now depart at 0900hrs

Birkenhead to Douglas 1400hrs will now depart at 1500hrs

Douglas to Heysham 1945hrs will now depart at 2300hrs

Sunday 3rd January 2016

Heysham to Douglas 0215hrs will now depart at 0430hrs

Douglas to Birkenhead 0800hrs will now depart at 0930hrs

Birkenhead to Douglas 1400hrs will now depart at 1530hrs

Douglas to Heysham 1945hrs will now depart at 2359hrs

Monday 4th January 2016

Heysham to Douglas 0215hrs will now depart at 0530hrs

Please note that the latest check in time for vehicles and foot passengers is one hour before the departure time.

CEO Mark Woodward said ‘As a result of this problem, which is outside of our control , the Ben-my-Chree schedules will be affected. We will only be able to approach and leave the port at higher states of tide; there will also be a knock-on effect to the weekend daytime Birkenhead sailings. Passengers on the affected sailings will be contacted by our Customer Services team. We will also keep passengers advised if any further changes are required’.

not having a good day, stuck outside Douglas waiting for the wind to abate a bit, must be too windy even with the tug on hand sad.png

Looking at the forecast it'll be an interesting docking manoeuvre.

post-1075-0-46427100-1451679525_thumb.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've always been nice about the steam packet, even when they ruined my holiday by changing the sailing time from 3pm (ish) to 7am (ish) but now I'm over them, finished with them and going to complain (severely). We got back to Manchester early today so hoofed it up to Heysham to get the 12 o'clock sailing, got there 4 minutes after check-in closed to be told the boat was sailing early... We were chancing it & were unlucky, c'est la vie - so why am I mad? Because there were 3 tourists who'd arrived before us (2 minutes late for check-in) who were also refused travel and the staff were so rude to him it was embarrassing. They'd been stuck in traffic in Morecambe, obviously the steam packet were aware there were passengers who hadn't arrived and the guy on the counter even admitted they knew of the traffic issues, if that was the case why did the captain decide to sail 25 minutes before the boats scheduled sailing time? Grrrrr no wonder we've no tourists f'in Mickey Mouse boats would be better!

• Like 6

I've always been nice about the steam packet, even when they ruined my holiday by changing the sailing time from 3pm (ish) to 7am (ish) but now I'm over them, finished with them and going to complain (severely). We got back to Manchester early today so hoofed it up to Heysham to get the 12 o'clock sailing, got there 4 minutes after check-in closed to be told the boat was sailing early... We were chancing it & were unlucky, c'est la vie - so why am I mad? Because there were 3 tourists who'd arrived before us (2 minutes late for check-in) who were also refused travel and the staff were so rude to him it was embarrassing. They'd been stuck in traffic in Morecambe, obviously the steam packet were aware there were passengers who hadn't arrived and the guy on the counter even admitted they knew of the traffic issues, if that was the case why did the captain decide to sail 25 minutes before the boats scheduled sailing time? Grrrrr no wonder we've no tourists f'in Mickey Mouse boats would be better!

Heysham is an ass hole of a place to be sailing to and from. That rail head reminds me of the ramp at Auschwitz and has a similar amount of charm and the staff and security there are about as friendly as SS guards too

• Like 6