Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Spot on MP ,

lol and particularly that diminutive miserable 'security' jobsworth ( a product of the Bernard Manning charm school I assume ?)whose appointment must be the strangest since Caligula made his horse a Consulbiggrin.png .

Sometimes it seems that some businesses seem to manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and fail to realise that there comes a time when a businesses ability to succeed in spite of itself runs out.

Perhaps they take their cue from our politicians who , when the alligators are snapping at their dangly bits, still can't grasp that the object of the exercise was to drain the swampflowers.gif

I've always been nice about the steam packet, even when they ruined my holiday by changing the sailing time from 3pm (ish) to 7am (ish) but now I'm over them, finished with them and going to complain (severely). We got back to Manchester early today so hoofed it up to Heysham to get the 12 o'clock sailing, got there 4 minutes after check-in closed to be told the boat was sailing early... We were chancing it & were unlucky, c'est la vie - so why am I mad? Because there were 3 tourists who'd arrived before us (2 minutes late for check-in) who were also refused travel and the staff were so rude to him it was embarrassing. They'd been stuck in traffic in Morecambe, obviously the steam packet were aware there were passengers who hadn't arrived and the guy on the counter even admitted they knew of the traffic issues, if that was the case why did the captain decide to sail 25 minutes before the boats scheduled sailing time? Grrrrr no wonder we've no tourists f'in Mickey Mouse boats would be better!

they can't even blame a low tide :-(

Manannan departed Heysham at 11:47

High 1228 9.1m

Spot on MP ,

lol

Oh yeah! It's uncanny, is this Heysham or Auschwitz? One simply can't tell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5hEGY6ywQI

"railhead reminds me" I believe was the quote , and given that the Heysham railhead is not exactly inviting the assertion by MP that if the "almighty was to give England an enema then Heysham would be where to place the tube I didn't think was too far off the mark.

His comments in relation to the staff employed there I would venture to suggest was fair comment.

I am aware that you seem to delight in editing posts in order that , on occasions, you can then portray yourself as politically correct and portraying others as thoughtless unfeeling racists /sexists /etc

It may be a tad more honest not to edit others posts in order for you to justify grabbing the wrong end of the wrong stick in order to try to portray yourself in a positive light.

Just saying , hope this helpsflowers.gif

• Like 1

I've always been nice about the steam packet, even when they ruined my holiday by changing the sailing time from 3pm (ish) to 7am (ish) but now I'm over them, finished with them and going to complain (severely). We got back to Manchester early today so hoofed it up to Heysham to get the 12 o'clock sailing, got there 4 minutes after check-in closed to be told the boat was sailing early... We were chancing it & were unlucky, c'est la vie - so why am I mad? Because there were 3 tourists who'd arrived before us (2 minutes late for check-in) who were also refused travel and the staff were so rude to him it was embarrassing. They'd been stuck in traffic in Morecambe, obviously the steam packet were aware there were passengers who hadn't arrived and the guy on the counter even admitted they knew of the traffic issues, if that was the case why did the captain decide to sail 25 minutes before the boats scheduled sailing time? Grrrrr no wonder we've no tourists f'in Mickey Mouse boats would be better!

About what you'd expect from them.

Heysham Port may be a hellhole and a nuisance to get to, but like Liverpool is own by Peel Ports - owned in turn by one of the IOMs HNWI, and the company beloved to IOMG. I'm afraid any criticisms and brickbats will fall on deaf ears. Also common sense flies out of the window, if your late for check in, unless you phone through, it's tough shit - they are a compassionate bunch!

• Like 3

What I find so frustrating is the attitude of the CEO. Here you a CEO in charge of what is effectively a monopoly but still the Company consistently fails to deliver and provides a somewhat sub standard service. The regular breakdowns, accidents and poor PR smacks of a company with little leadership or regard for its service users, safe in the knowledge there is no alternative. Arrogance, hubris or incompetence - there is a fine line and without a competitor to benchmark there is little incentive to provide a better service.

• Like 3

Try arriving a the check in desk at any airport and you would be turned away, whether you like it or not the passengers are responsible to ensure that they arrive in good time.

It's a boat parked right next to the terminal - hardly similar, there were passengers booked on the boat who hand't arrived, why go early?

Edited by thebees

The desk would have radioed the boat that they'd closed check in and that no one was walking through the corridor. The boat would then start the door closing procedure, and that procedure is taken very seriously, for obvious historical reasons.

This is down to the desk mob.