Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

According to their video 200-300 freight containers at a time. That sounds like a lot to me. Could be the way of the future.

If someone is thinking of setting up a company using this then let me know if shares are available - I would buy some.

The article I read said 23 tons. That is about 1 - 2 containers. smile.png

Yeah, they'd have to develop a bigger version to be of real interest to the IOM I guess

However, it's 10 times cheaper than a helicopter for freight & much, much faster than the Ben

If you had three or four pilot-less versions running around the clock I imagine they might shift a fair amount of stuff (particularly foods)

Edited by Donald Trumps

According to their video 200-300 freight containers at a time. That sounds like a lot to me. Could be the way of the future.

If someone is thinking of setting up a company using this then let me know if shares are available - I would buy some.

The article I read said 23 tons. That is about 1 - 2 containers. smile.png

Yeah, they'd have to develop a bigger version to be of real interest to the IOM I guess

However, it's 10 times cheaper than a helicopter for freight & much, much faster than the Ben

If you had three or four pilot-less versions running around the clock I imagine they might shift a fair amount of stuff (particularly foods)

It may well be quicker, but would have to make 30 - 40 trips per day to get near to what the Ben does thumbsup.gif

Omg I have just had an awesome idea, lets build our own boat. I've got a mate who does tech drawing stuff, I know loads of ace welders and I've got mates up at Zenith (engineers merchants) - what else do we need? And and and it would give the shipyard proper ship building work, that'd put a kink in the evil doers plan😈

Why not? I think it's a great idea, you know you see these people on tv shows like Dragons den and they are totally & passionately committed to the most 'out there' ideas. I kind of feel that passion for the Isle of Man getting a club together and building its own boat. We could get refugees over to help, it's a f'in great idea... Anyone fancy building a boat?

• Like 1

I recall the Island did have an airship factory or works up at Jurby. It went down! I attended the auction. That was early 1990s?? It was supposed to be the business and then down!!

How big a ship could the shipyard house?

Basically fishing boats and at a pinch possibly tiny coastal craft. There is a lot of prefabrication these days and for that you need a hinterland...And skills which you do not have...And you do not have the power or the materials to hand...Go east young man!

How big a ship could the shipyard house?

They built this

"Star of India" when built was originally "Euterpe" she got the other name later. From what I can see she was originally 1,107 Net Registered Tons each of 100 cubic feet notional volume cargo capacity. Length about 205 feet or 62.50 metres. Beam about 35 feet or 10.70 metres.

There is no comparison really with "the Ben" which is about Net Registered Tonnage of 3,751. Length about 125.20 metres and Beam about 23.40 metres...The "Ben's" Gross Registered Tonnage is 12,504. Conventionally the Gross Registered Tonnage is the ship's entire notional volume and the Net Registered Tonnage is the notional volume when all the non-earning space is subtracted.

However, I must admit that there have been so many changes to GRT and NRT and the introduction of variations by convention too long and complex to put here and I am too out of date to understand without swotting so you will have to Google it for yourselves (Don't bother!)...There is no real comparison between the two ships but you can see that the yard that built "Euterpe" would struggle with anything large.

Then there is the draft and deep water issue...