Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

I hate China, everything you try to buy is made there and it's rubbish! The Internet used to be great- no more, China has ruined it, I wanted some high thread count cotton bedding, so that's what I ordered, guess what came? Junk polycotton mehness, they sent a carrier to collect it & gave a refund.

They'd probably make a rusty boat!

• Like 1

china is the place to get new ship built, quids in cheap Chinese steel and they are the main shipbuilders in the market,

The Dutch yard Van der Giessen de Noord which built the Ben My Chree closed in 2003 and had built nothing since 2000.

So far no one nation is dominant in RoPax construction as many build the hulls at least. South Korea is very aggressive but has not come out on top.

Recent RoPax building has been focussed on Guangzhou yard in China and yards in Turkey, Poland and Romania (Doubts about the latter it seems!)

As at September 2015 it was reported that only 74 RoPax newbuilds were on order world wide. Most of these were in China.

Problem with RoPax stock is that the ships tend to be operated on regular ferry lines and which pay steadily all the year round thus the ships are less influenced by the ups and downs of the global shipping market. There is less need to adapt and compete with the greater world and therefore ships are replaced due to age rather than due to aggressive change and competition.

Times may be changing and add more problems to the Steampacket's situation. These days there is a lot of attention to pollution and carbon etc by way of various conventions. Meeting these by converting can be costly. In recent times some very large ferries have been delivered using LNG for fuel and apparently complying with ecological rules and conventions. Maybe other considerations too?

If this takes off it may put a lot of conventional tonnage on the market..I recall that in the 1980s one of the main causes of the shipping recession and closure of many operators was fuel economy. Newer ships were coming out of the yards and built with fuel economy in mind. Naturally, the charterers chose these ships as a time charterer of a ship has to pay for the fuel. And even if on a simple voyage charter where the owner pays the more economical ships could at least survive the depressed freight rates of the time.

As a result the less economical ships some of them brand new could not compete with the "eco-designs" and were scrapped. Ship prices fell and many a famous name went to the wall. This is when my involvement ceased as all my people had the less economical ships and had to go down and sell on a depressed market....Often for scrap only!

If LNG catches on will we see another wave of ships and owners rendered redundant. It seems to be the latest 'tween deck "buzz" for ferry owners...So will the Steampacket have to think in terms of ordering a new and expensive LNG burner???

I hate China, everything you try to buy is made there and it's rubbish!

sadly that's not 100% accurate, china make what they are asked to at a price the buyer is willing to pay. they also make top of the line high quality items for those prepared to pay for them. what we find is importers buy the cheapest they think they can get away with and charge us as much as they think they can get away with so we get poor value for money, even though it is 'cheap' compared to say german built stuff. we all look for the cheapest place to buy what we want and then cry when we get a cheapo clone that fails us because we were to tight to pay for a decent item.

• Like 2

If you've ever dealt with the Chinese you'll know just how hard it is trying to get them to do what you ask, never mind all the fuckers that then want to rip your products off. Been there in the past, know the story very well. You've basically got to be looking over their shoulder all the time or they will take the piss.

Then of course, there's all of the palms that need to be kept greased... It's like the wild west out there man!

• Like 1

WTF, I don't worry about the price of things, I want what I want and I will pay what it costs... Except for the 750 t-shirt, that's still in the shop :)

Actually, everything is rubbish now, not just the Chinese stuff. Disposable consumable bahh.

That's it! I'm off to build my boat!

How big a ship could the shipyard house?

They built this

"Star of India" when built was originally "Euterpe" she got the other name later. From what I can see she was originally 1,107 Net Registered Tons each of 100 cubic feet notional volume cargo capacity. Length about 205 feet or 62.50 metres. Beam about 35 feet or 10.70 metres.

There is no comparison really with "the Ben" which is about Net Registered Tonnage of 3,751. Length about 125.20 metres and Beam about 23.40 metres...The "Ben's" Gross Registered Tonnage is 12,504. Conventionally the Gross Registered Tonnage is the ship's entire notional volume and the Net Registered Tonnage is the notional volume when all the non-earning space is subtracted.

However, I must admit that there have been so many changes to GRT and NRT and the introduction of variations by convention too long and complex to put here and I am too out of date to understand without swotting so you will have to Google it for yourselves (Don't bother!)...There is no real comparison between the two ships but you can see that the yard that built "Euterpe" would struggle with anything large.

Then there is the draft and deep water issue...

It was a tax dodge on timber import duties in the UK