Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Stena line ordered four super RoPax in China this year with an option on a further four and it seems they can burn LNG or alcohol as well. Here is the link. As I said the Steampacket might have a modernisation headache..

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiEkbGC3dbMAhUMRCYKHftND9UQFggpMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fworldmaritimenews.com%2Farchives%2F187795%2Fstena-line-to-add-four-new-ropax-ferries%2F&usg=AFQjCNHxzVZ1vycRTCIm_cfW8OGmBAsaIQ

Caledonian MacBrayne took delivery of a new RoPax "Loch Seaforth" in 2014 at a cost of £41.80 million. She runs a 24 hour continuous service from Stornoway to Ullapool I believe.

"Loch Seaforth" can take 700 passengers, 142 cars or 20 trucks. Gross Tonnage (GT) under I suppose the new rules is 8,680.

The "Ben" cost about £24 million in 1998...and is described today as lifting 630 passengers and 275 cars. Her Gross Tonnage (GT) seems to have gone up under I suppose the new system and is now said to be 12,747

So it looks like a ballpark figure for a new "Ben" is I would say close to maybe £45-£48 million????

Google "Loch Seaforth" she looks a bit like "the Ben"

They produce cheap shite

I hate China, everything you try to buy is made there and it's rubbish!

sadly that's not 100% accurate, china make what they are asked to at a price the buyer is willing to pay. they also make top of the line high quality items for those prepared to pay for them. what we find is importers buy the cheapest they think they can get away with and charge us as much as they think they can get away with so we get poor value for money, even though it is 'cheap' compared to say german built stuff. we all look for the cheapest place to buy what we want and then cry when we get a cheapo clone that fails us because we were to tight to pay for a decent item.

It is accurate. On the whole they produce cheap shite. It looks cheap, it is cheap and it performs cheap. I am sure there is something in what you say about what the buyer is willing to pay and God knows in such a large population there must be some people of integrity, but my experience is don't touch. Whatever you pay, the expertise, diligence and quality assurance is lacking. Even the high speed rail line they built collapsed! I really haven't seen much - even expensive stuff - out of China that really looks the part.

Against my better judgement we were persuaded to source some materials made in China for a customer. The samples came through spot on. We later had reason to believe they didn't even make them but bought them in from Germany and issued them as their own. The production runs were dire. Shoddy and way off spec. I can honestly say that they put more effort into making the packaging look good than they did into the quality of the actual product. In the end it was a total fiasco because so many batches had to be rejected that it would have been cheaper to source in Germany.

As for risking your intellectual property and equipment out there, well all I can say is it serves you right when you find yourself being undercut by a cheap version of your own product made probably in the same factory and probably using your equipment. These arrangements are easy to get into but not easy to get out of with your business intact. Once they've got their hands on it they basically don't need you. It is astonishing how stupid the carrot of big cost savings can persuade otherwise intelligent people to be.

CalMac wins £900m ferry contract

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36330479

Nice to see a company doing something for the locals. Maybe the racket could do more.

Caledonian MacBrayne as they trade under is state owned by the Scottish Government and since 2006 via a holding company David MacBrayne Ltd....Totally different to the Steampacket!

It is considered to be offering "lifeline services" to the Islands and thus a subsidy is paid via the EU because Scotland being part of the UK is entitled to assistance...(I believe the subsidy still stands)

Under EU rules the contract must be open to tender and was.

The Isle of Man chose to remain out of the "Common Market's" Single Market when the UK joined the Common Market and is thus not entitled to support for its "lifeline" ferry services....IOM Govt subsidises the Steampacket via the Linkspan User Agreement..

CalMac is subsidised to the tune of over £100million a year. It is a great company with a wonderful tradition, but it is very costly. It is in equal measures loved and cursed by the islanders very much like the Steam Packet is here.

https://www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/annual-reports

@ Barrie: I am not sure that the User Agreement could be called a subsidy. At least not in the straightforward way that CalMac is subsidised. It's a quid pro quo arrangement. The government agrees to shut out competition from its linkspan in return for the SPCo operating a whole load of unremunerative year round passenger services. It's complex.

• Like 1

Just gonna put this in here...

Ben to conduct berthing trial

The Ben-my-Chree is to trial a port in north Wales for contingency use. The Steam Packet Company says the vessel will sail to Holyhead in Anglesey tomorow night, to conduct a berthing trial.

The plan is to assess the port's suitability as a backup for Heysham and Birkenhead.

Passengers aren't affected, as the vessel is not scheduled to run any services during the period.

Holyhead port is three and a half hours sailing from the Isle of Man, with access to the M6 via a 90 minute drive on the A55.

The Irish Sea port is protected by a 1.5 mile breakwater, and with 24 hour access is seen as a potential alternative to Birkenhead.

SPC Chief executive Mark Woodward said: "There have been occasions when entering Heysham has been impossible at certain states of tide, for example over the New Year period when a large piece of wooden debris blocked the harbour entrance for several days. Birkenhead 12 Quays, which the Ben sails to on winter weekends, is in regular use and simply not available to us on a suitable basis."

Edited by Aqua97