Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

cancelled tonight due to expected bad weather at Heysham ohmy.png

(must have been a lst minute decision, or they were very late updating their website 'latest sailings')

It's even quite windy down here, so must be bad where you are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-37002528

_90701653_windmap.jpg

I remember the days whenever this sort of thing happened, there was a 'Communications Officer' in the Steam Packet who liked nothing better than to get on Manx Radio and hear the sound of his own voice telling everybody that everything was ok and how lucky we were all the other days when the Steam Packet did sail etc.

I'm not sure if that job was just created to get him out the way after all those years of rising up from office boy.

Anyway, they eventually got shut of him when he found himself another job.

I notice he was never replaced.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

I remember the days whenever this sort of thing happened, there was a 'Communications Officer' in the Steam Packet who liked nothing better than to get on Manx Radio and hear the sound of his own voice telling everybody that everything was ok and how lucky we were all the other days when the Steam Packet did sail etc.

I'm not sure if that job was just created to get him out the way after all those years of rising up from office boy.

Ah those were the days, the dulcet and rich tone of Geoff Corkish voice, SPC mouthpiece.

• 1 month later...

SCHEDULES REVISED

Due to issues at Heysham Port this weekend, some Ben-my-Chree services between Friday 23rd and Monday 26th September inclusive have been rescheduled.

We are informing passengers affected by the changes and the revised schedule is:

Friday 23rd September

• Douglas to Heysham 08:00hrs will now depart at 09:00hrs

• Douglas to Heysham 19:00hrs will now depart at 18:30hrs

Saturday 24th September

• Douglas to Heysham 08:45hrs will now depart at 07:30hrs

Sunday 25th September

• Heysham to Douglas 14:15hrs will now depart at 14:45hrs

Monday 26th September

• Heysham to Douglas 02:15hrs will now depart at 01:00hrs

The rescheduling of services is due to the failure of an agreed dredging programme to achieve and maintain promised dredged depths at the Lancashire port. A survey, the results of which were announced only yesterday afternoon, has forced us to reschedule services due to insufficient depths of water available to safely use the port at our scheduled times.

You can see the latest sailing updates at www.steam-packet.com/latestsailings

Sometimes it needs it spelling out like this to bring it back into focus on why the island is run like the dogs dinner it is with muppets in positions of power. Legislative Council no less.

• Like 1

......are we being held to ransom? Both our destination ports having problems.

Are they both owned by the same company?

Yes, as you well know!

Perhaps we should "review" his HNW tax status? To ensure he remains "focused" on the dredging agreements, etc...?

• Like 1

......are we being held to ransom? Both our destination ports having problems.

Are they both owned by the same company?

Yes, as you well know!

Perhaps we should "review" his HNW tax status? To ensure he remains "focused" on the dredging agreements, etc...?

like ban helicopters landing within 10mile of airports ?

• Like 1

Boat to Heysham cancelled last night. Think it set off and then turned back. I only mention as I was due to pick up a passenger at 6.00am who is travelling to see a sick family member. Now trying to catch some sleep in Heysham terminal. Nothing on the web site to warn of delay or cancellation.

• Like 1

Facebook now has the explanation

"Due to high winds at Heysham the Ben-my-Chree was unable to enter the port and with no improvement in conditions the Master took the decision around 02:00 to return to Douglas where she is due to arrive around 06:00. This resulted in the 02:15 departure from Heysham being cancelled."

Don't expect to find any newspapers this morning, 'cos I don't think Barclays' wagon will have swum out to Ben. It'll have been a bit too choppy for it ;-)