Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Heysham fine, with three caveats. Poor public transport links, it needs constant dredging and there's nothing to do and nowhere to go if a boat is delayed/cancelled.

The arrival of the Bay Gateway in exactly a month will make it the best road connected north west coast port, for private and commercial traffic.

For the IOM the plug into the distribution network is the best fit and much better than pier head, half tide dock, Birkenhead, Holyhead or Fleetwood.

"Heysham fine, with three caveats. Poor public transport links, it needs constant dredging and there's nothing to do and nowhere to go if a boat is delayed/cancelled."

Two really then.

The last thing of importance when I travel by boat is "what is there to do if it is delayed or cancelled". The answer is exactly same as every airport I arrive at when travelling if there is a delay and or cancellation - Nothing.

Major delays and cancellations are a nominal percentage of the time.

Edited by notwell

"Heysham fine, with three caveats. Poor public transport links, it needs constant dredging and there's nothing to do and nowhere to go if a boat is delayed/cancelled."

Two really then.

The last thing of importance when I travel by boat is "what is there to do if it is delayed or cancelled". The answer is exactly same as every airport I arrive at when travelling if there is a delay and or cancellation - Nothing.

Heysham is much smaller and has fewer facilities than any airport I've ever passed through. If you are a foot passenger you wouldn't want to be marooned at Heysham. No buses, no trains ( apart from those meeting the boat ). Nearest pub nearly a mile. Nearest hotel 2 miles. Morecambe, which closes at 10pm, the only place to go. Compare that with The Pierhead, Birkenhead, even Holyhead, or Manchester, Liverpool, Belfast, Dublin, City, Gatwick.

I reckon about 20 cancellations of overnights so far this year. You arrive at 10.30 by public transport. At 02.00 you're told it's cancelled. What do you do. No cafe, no heating, nothing to drink ( there is a drink machine ). Hellhole.

• Like 5

Heysham really is an utter shithole with no where to go. Last time I was there I let two uni students crash in my car, they were proper knackered. Who leaves teenage girls stranded in the middle of nowhere? Bloody Steam Packet

On the other hand, I did get a refund of 50% my ticket for the delay which occurred within a week after I emailed them, so at least they're handling those complaints.

Two really then.

Heysham is much smaller and has fewer facilities than any airport I've ever passed through. If you are a foot passenger you wouldn't want to be marooned at Heysham. No buses, no trains ( apart from those meeting the boat ). Nearest pub nearly a mile. Nearest hotel 2 miles. Morecambe, which closes at 10pm, the only place to go. Compare that with The Pierhead, Birkenhead, even Holyhead, or Manchester, Liverpool, Belfast, Dublin, City, Gatwick.

I reckon about 20 cancellations of overnights so far this year. You arrive at 10.30 by public transport. At 02.00 you're told it's cancelled. What do you do. No cafe, no heating, nothing to drink ( there is a drink machine ). Hellhole.

The terminal is fine to kip in if you have to. And the cafe has been open whenever I've done a night sailing. Has that changed?

Jesus Christ - how pampered are you as well? It's Heysham Ferry Terminal. Not Aleppo.

Two really then.

The terminal is fine to kip in if you have to. And the cafe has been open whenever I've done a night sailing. Has that changed?

Jesus Christ - how pampered are you as well? It's Heysham Ferry Terminal. Not Aleppo.

It closes between sailings. So it's closed until 10.00pm. Then, after the boat has gone it's closed until 10.00 am, then after the 2pm boat has gone it's closed until 10pm.

Tha facilities out of hours are appalling in case of cancellation.

No I'm not pampered but I'm no longer up to sleeping on the floor.

• Like 4

Two really then.

It closes between sailings. So it's closed until 10.00pm. Then, after the boat has gone it's closed until 10.00 am, then after the 2pm boat has gone it's closed until 10pm.

Poor you. There is a perfectly serviceable Travelodge in Morecambe which I doubt is ever full and one in Lancaster if it is (plus Premier Inn and Holiday Inn). 15 quid in a taxi at worst.

As for airports, have you ever been stuck at Gatwick overnight? Last time Easyjet cancelled the last flight back, the nearest hotel they could find us was in Brighton. I'd rather be in Heysham than Gatwick. And being stuck air side is worse. Nothing open and no fresh air.

Two really then.

Poor you. There is a perfectly serviceable Travelodge in Morecambe which I doubt is ever full and one in Lancaster if it is (plus Premier Inn and Holiday Inn). 15 quid in a taxi at worst.

As for airports, have you ever been stuck at Gatwick overnight? Last time Easyjet cancelled the last flight back, the nearest hotel they could find us was in Brighton. I'd rather be in Heysham than Gatwick. And being stuck air side is worse. Nothing open and no fresh air.

You can always book it yourself and claim it back from the airline.

Its not guaranteed if its a weather delay, but they always pay out for technical delays.

They usually try to put up people at the Hilton at the south terminal and usually won't check at the premier inn etc etc

Steam Packet always gets a thumbs up from me.

All this summer Ive been spending either three or 4 days per week in IOM and the remainder of the week in Ormskirk

looking after Hubby's Dad in Kirkby (just down the road) Sounds complicated I know.

I havent been let down once by the Steam Packet and have always managed to secure reasonable fares.

I really dont know what we will do after October when the fast craft stops sailing as Heysham is far too difficult and the planes too expensive.
  • Like 1