Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Poor you. There is a perfectly serviceable Travelodge in Morecambe which I doubt is ever full and one in Lancaster if it is (plus Premier Inn and Holiday Inn). 15 quid in a taxi at worst.

As for airports, have you ever been stuck at Gatwick overnight? Last time Easyjet cancelled the last flight back, the nearest hotel they could find us was in Brighton. I'd rather be in Heysham than Gatwick. And being stuck air side is worse. Nothing open and no fresh air.

Yeah its in fucking Morecambe though. Abandon hope all ye who enter there. Its like the village of the damned.

I've not travelled as a foot passenger for many years. We always take the car. So getting to an hotel is not an issue, neither is paying for one. As we travel with dogs not every hotel is available. However not everyone can afford an unexpected taxi fare and hotel bill. The lack of assistance and information and facilities at Heysham when the service fails is a disgrace.

I'm not knocking the steam packet, use them regularly, generally good service received.

Fact remains that Heysham is not a passenger friendly destination if you are a foot pasenger.

• Like 3

probably for the same reason that the Sloc had a few quid spent on it , or in the hope that it would encourage private investment in the port and its environs?

It's sometimes difficult to think what goes through "governments" heads when making decisions ........... I've foundflowers.gif

Bay Gateway doesn't just serve Heysham. It improves access to Morecambe. But Heysham is doing well with freight. It wouldn't take much to improve passenger facilities either. But it will never be a destination in itself, unlike Liverpool. But then same is true I'd Fleetwood and Holyhead.

• Like 1

The Seacat has just arrived in Heysham this morning (about 1030). There is no train as it's Sunday but when booking a fp ticket a month or so back (and seeing it was not the Ben) asked about onward transport and was most happy to hear there would be a bus laid on for such foot pax to get them to Lancaster station.

Well there is..... but it's not until 1310 (to concide with the usual Sunday crossing time) by which time the booked train would be missed by a considerable margin. Taxi seems the only option unless we can find a local service bus.

So please SP reservations, when you inform passengers that a bus will meet a sailing (and confirm this in a supervisor call back when questioned) and they reasonably enquire when it roughly will leave (to be able to book a train having given at least an hour's journey plus plenty of extra contingency for cock ups) perhaps you could tell them that they will have to wait at Heysham terminal for 2.5+ hours for it.

If you give them the wrong story they will probably book a train that will then be missed (requiring a new ticket at about £35) unless they pay a taxi fare that exceeds the original crossing fare. You could have asked the bus company to change the pick up time if you change the operating vessel weeks ahead (this ticket was booked on 25th August).

I idealogically support the SP when others are ranting about it on here but I am having a bit of trouble defending this cock up. However a big thumbs up for Ray the crew member today who very kindly hastened the disembarcation in an attempt to reduce the cock up's impact. That was really appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by ballaughbiker

The Seacat has just arrived in Heysham this morning (about 1030). There is no train as it's Sunday but when booking a fp ticket a month or so back (and seeing it was not the Ben) asked about onward transport and was most happy to hear there would be a bus laid on for such foot pax to get them to Lancaster station.

Well there is..... but it's not until 1310 (to concide with the usual Sunday crossing time) by which time the booked train would be missed by a considerable margin. Taxi seems the only option unless we can find a local service bus.

So please SP reservations, when you inform passengers that a bus will meet a sailing (and confirm this in a supervisor call back when questioned) and they reasonably enquire when it roughly will leave (to be able to book a train having given at least an hour's journey plus plenty of extra contingency for cock ups) perhaps you could tell them that they will have to wait at Heysham terminal for 2.5+ hours for it.

If you give them the wrong story they will probably book a train that will then be missed (requiring a new ticket at about £35) unless they pay a taxi fare that exceeds the original crossing fare. You could have asked the bus company to change the pick up time if you change the operating vessel weeks ahead (this ticket was booked on 25th August).

I idealogically support the SP when others are ranting about it on here but I am having a bit of trouble defending this cock up. However a big thumbs up for Ray the crew member today who very kindly hastened the disembarcation in an attempt to reduce the cock up's impact. That was really appreciated. Thank you.

There must be loads in the same position? Get an 8 seater and split the cost

For those who end up in this daft situation, and assuming you haven't got large suitcases, walk up the hill past the Duke of Rothesay towards that roundabout at the end of the dual carriageway. The last road on the left before the roundabout is called Combermere Rd with a bus stop at the end. Route 2A (twice an hour) gets you into Lancaster for £4.50. It's a lot better than £25 in a taxi unless you are in a group.

Caught the train today, just, thanks to having enough contingency in the planning and the internet.

• Like 2

I really dont know what we will do after October when the fast craft stops sailing as Heysham is far too difficult and the planes too expensive.

there are connections to Ormskirk every hour from Lancaster, takes an hour or so with a change at Preston - the only train from Heysham will get into Lancaster 13:45 (just after the 13.39 Preston/London train leaves but the taxi costs £15 and will usually get you to Lancaster by 1pm and sometimes tho not often in winter by 12.40) - you can book a boat-rail ticket + if you have a over60's card get a discount on ticket - sometimes more convenient to book from the UK end

• Like 1

I really dont know what we will do after October when the fast craft stops sailing as Heysham is far too difficult and the planes too expensive.

there are connections to Ormskirk every hour from Lancaster, takes an hour or so with a change at Preston - the only train from Heysham will get into Lancaster 13:45 (just after the 13.39 Preston/London train leaves but the taxi costs £15 and will usually get you to Lancaster by 1pm and sometimes tho not often in winter by 12.40) - you can book a boat-rail ticket + if you have a over60's card get a discount on ticket - sometimes more convenient to book from the UK end

Thank you very much for your trouble answering here.

Its much appreciated.

Ive checked out the train services and if necessary I guess thats the way I will have to go. Rail fares are about £14:00 each way depending on time and day of travelling together with taxi fares at about £15:00 each way would put almost £60:00 on my travel costs. Its not cheap travelling back and forwards to the IOM!

(Thanks for the information but while its true I am much too old to qualify for a student rail card I'm also much too young to qualify for an over 60 card :))

I can use my Father in Law car provided I can locate some free parking at Heysham and that would be my preference.

Thanks again. It was very helpful and nice of you.