Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

done a force 11 in the bay of biscay, none of that happened.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2528810/Ferries-forced-ride-storm-16-hours-battered-ferocious-seas-leaving-hundreds-people-stranded-dozens-injured.html

Hate linking to the Daily Mail, but you were clearly very lucky Woody.  I've been on the Cap Finisterre in Biscay in considerably less than a force 11 and ended up on my cabin floor having been thrown out of my bunk.

I have also worked as a car deck crewman on a ferry and I can assure you that damage to vehicles does happen.

Edited by guzzi
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, guzzi said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2528810/Ferries-forced-ride-storm-16-hours-battered-ferocious-seas-leaving-hundreds-people-stranded-dozens-injured.html

Hate linking to the Daily Mail, but you were clearly very lucky Woody.  I've been on the Cap Finisterre in Biscay in considerably less than a force 11 and ended up on my cabin floor having been thrown out of my bunk.

I have also worked as a car deck crewman on a ferry and I can assure you that damage to vehicles does happen.

Me as well. 40 hours. And on Harwich Bremerhaven.

16 minutes ago, guzzi said:

crap boat, it nearly sank around 12 years ago, i was on the pride of bilbao heading to the uk in the same storm.....

Cap Finistere is an ex superfast ferry (Superfast V). But if you were on Pride of Bilbao in 2013 when that Daily Mail 16 hour stand off occurred it couldn’t have been in the bay of Biscay. Pride of Bilbao was the P&O vessel serving the Portsmouth/Bilbao route. It was withdrawn and the route scrapped in 2010. Since then she’s been the Princess Anastasia operated alongside Tynwald ( Moby Love ) by Moby Lines in the Med, Aegean and Adriatic. Nice admission you go on down market love boat cruises. In fact Cap Finistere and Pride of Bilbao never served the Bay of Biscay routes at the same time. P&0 stopped in October 2010 and Cap Finistere first sailed in April 2011. Perhaps you’re confusing with different superfast and conventional RoPax Ferries?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Looks the same as this 2010 video!

(Which, as the comments make clear, is not actually the Isle of Man ferry)

It’s a Northlink ferry. I think it’s pre SERCO operation. 5 July 2012. So that makes it CalMac.

Edited by John Wright
  • Thanks 1

Bit of fake news going on with that video! I think it did the rounds on a shipping forum a while ago and similar questions were raised and a similar conclusion reached. But it does make the point about damage and injury during heavy weather. 

I vaguely recall that both the Northlink boats to Shetland have the tables bolted down and the chairs tethered, as inclement weather isn't unknown on the route.  Incidentally, the Northlink ships (MV Hjaltland and MV Hrossey) are more or less the same length overall as the Ben My Chree, but far superior ships from a passengers point of view, with much more accommodation.  The Ben, unfortunately, is a freight ship with passenger accommodation added on. Although the Northlink passenger ferries carry a lot of trucks, they have dedicated freighters to handle the bulk of it instead of trying to do everything with one vessel.

I used to enjoy the Pride of Bilbao, a much slower ship than the Brittany Ferries ones. Great for Whale & Dolphin watching, with a wildlife officer doing guided watches on every crossing. In point of fact, I think it was Bretagne that pitched me onto the floor.

Long story short,  we may bitch about the Steam Packet cancelling services when other ferry routes are operating, but their Captains know the ships, ports and the routes and have the benefit of a Master Mariner's qualification, which I suspect few of us actually have.  

Edited by guzzi
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

crap boat, it nearly sank around 12 years ago, i was on the pride of bilbao heading to the uk in the same storm.....

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Cap Finistere is an ex superfast ferry (Superfast V). But if you were on Pride of Bilbao in 2013 when that Daily Mail 16 hour stand off occurred it couldn’t have been in the bay of Biscay. Pride of Bilbao was the P&O vessel serving the Portsmouth/Bilbao route. It was withdrawn and the route scrapped in 2010. Since then she’s been the Princess Anastasia operated alongside Tynwald ( Moby Love ) by Moby Lines in the Med, Aegean and Adriatic. Nice admission you go on down market love boat cruises. In fact Cap Finistere and Pride of Bilbao never served the Bay of Biscay routes at the same time. P&0 stopped in October 2010 and Cap Finistere first sailed in April 2011. Perhaps you’re confusing with different superfast and conventional RoPax Ferries?

:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Didn’t happen all year round. 

Sunday papers colour supplements and magazines were shipped until the 1980’s.

The colour supplements were inserted once the papers arrived 

Only worked there for a couple of months , you were paid an "extra" ( £1 or thereabouts) as it was an early flight before clocking in , can't remember which papers or what days , only did it a couple of times so you may well be right.:flowers:

44 minutes ago, guzzi said:

Bit of fake news going on with that video! I think it did the rounds on a shipping forum a while ago and similar questions were raised and a similar conclusion reached. But it does make the point about damage and injury during heavy weather. 

I vaguely recall that both the Northlink boats to Shetland have the tables bolted down and the chairs tethered, as inclement weather isn't unknown on the route.  Incidentally, the Northlink ships (MV Hjaltland and MV Hrossey) are more or less the same length overall as the Ben My Chree, but far superior ships from a passengers point of view, with much more accommodation.  The Ben, unfortunately, is a freight ship with passenger accommodation added on. Although the Northlink passenger ferries carry a lot of trucks, they have dedicated freighters to handle the bulk of it instead of trying to do everything with one vessel.

I used to enjoy the Pride of Bilbao, a much slower ship than the Brittany Ferries ones. Great for Whale & Dolphin watching, with a wildlife officer doing guided watches on every crossing. In point of fact, I think it was Bretagne that pitched me onto the floor.

Long story short,  we may bitch about the Steam Packet cancelling services when other ferry routes are operating, but their Captains know the ships, ports and the routes and have the benefit of a Master Mariner's qualification, which I suspect few of us actually have.  

only so they got 2 nights spend out of you.....