Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

20 minutes ago, woody2 said:

:rolleyes:

You didn’t make it clear. You posted in response to the Daily Mail article.That was in 2013. Superfast V has never nearly sunk. If you know different post a link. So by referring to “the same storm” it can only refer to the 2013 incident.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, guzzi said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2528810/Ferries-forced-ride-storm-16-hours-battered-ferocious-seas-leaving-hundreds-people-stranded-dozens-injured.html

Hate linking to the Daily Mail, but you were clearly very lucky Woody.  I've been on the Cap Finisterre in Biscay in considerably less than a force 11 and ended up on my cabin floor having been thrown out of my bunk.

I have also worked as a car deck crewman on a ferry and I can assure you that damage to vehicles does happen.

43 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You didn’t make it clear. You posted in response to the Daily Mail article.That was in 2013. Superfast V has never nearly sunk. If you know different post a link. So by referring to “the same storm” it can only refer to the 2013 incident.

i did i even highlighted the name of the ship in guzzi post to show what i was talking about.....

24 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

................hmmm, the old Peveril took some beating in rough weather, recall almost every wagon had some damage and the two stacks at the back seemed to be swaying at least 3metres either side during the last storm I was sick in...............

As a notary, when I worked in central Douglas, I frequently did notarial certificates from Steam Packet skippers protesting sea conditions when it was rough and vehicles had been damaged as evidence of act of God Insurance exclusion.

Not done one now for a decade or more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

No, it’s a slow boat. Cap Finisterre has 10kts on it

well according to the captain of pride of bilbao when i went up to the bridge, he said they could do the crossing in 22 hours, he also said they got across the bay of biscay as quick as possible then circled..... 

As a notary, when I worked in central Douglas, I frequently did notarial certificates from Steam Packet skippers protesting sea conditions when it was rough and vehicles had been damaged as evidence of act of God Insurance exclusion.

Not done one now for a decade or more.

So the legal profession get involved with claims about acts of "God"  in the real world ? How does "God's work" figure in law at all FFS ?

How does your quoted post compare to your posts about political correctness and inclusion, in the other thread about signing at pop concerts work then.

Aren't they just Black and White ?

20 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s the captain who protested the act of god. I just recorded it in notarial form.

What has that to do with equal access.

For someone who's career is law, to even include the word "god" into a service, raises serious questions, 

Then in the other thread you talk about the real world and being inclusive. 

Now what was your question again ?

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

well according to the captain of pride of bilbao when i went up to the bridge, he said they could do the crossing in 22 hours, he also said they got across the bay of biscay as quick as possible then circled..... 

Pride had max speed 22kts and Service speed of 18kts. Cap has max speed of 32kts and Service speed of 28kts. At 28kts Cap takes 23 hours, at 18 kts Pride took 33.

No circling. In fact the Pride sailed into the centre of Bilbao and went up the river very slowly. That manouver took 3 hours alone. Cap sails to the new harbour at Zierbena, at the mouth of the Rio de Bilbao. 

Another difference is the route. Pride went to the west of Usshant whereas Cap goes straight through. That saves 2 hours.

I sailed 4 or 5 times on Pride, probably 30+ on Cap.

Pride advertised as booze cruises and I was worried after the first two trips that if there was an incident the crew wouldn’t be able to evacuate because of  the drunks who started drinking in Portsmouth, carried on drinking for 33 hours, disembarked for 4 hours in Bilbao and got back on board and drank for another 33 hours.

26 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

For someone who's career is law, to even include the word "god" into a service, raises serious questions, 

Then in the other thread you talk about the real world and being inclusive. 

Now what was your question again ?

Act of God just means a natural event outside human control. Nothing to do with God. It’s an insurance term. The traditional way for the shipping line to protect itself after storm damage was for the captain to protest the perils of the sea in notarised format.

Its 100’s of years old, antedating CCTV and modern technology that records the wind and waves.. 

Pride had max speed 22kts and Service speed of 18kts. Cap has max speed of 32kts and Service speed of 28kts. At 28kts Cap takes 23 hours, at 18 kts Pride took 33.

No circling. In fact the Pride sailed into the centre of Bilbao and went up the river very slowly. That manouver took 3 hours alone. Cap sails to the new harbour at Zierbena, at the mouth of the Rio de Bilbao. 

Another difference is the route. Pride went to the west of Usshant whereas Cap goes straight through. That saves 2 hours.

I sailed 4 or 5 times on Pride, probably 30+ on Cap.

Pride advertised as booze cruises and I was worried after the first two trips that if there was an incident the crew wouldn’t be able to evacuate because of  the drunks who started drinking in Portsmouth, carried on drinking for 33 hours, disembarked for 4 hours in Bilbao and got back on board and drank for another 33 hours.

it was only one night on the way back:rolleyes: i did it 10+ times a year for years......