Cardinal O'brien Accusescameron Of Immoral Tax Stance

Lisenchuk

Isn't it amazing to consider that the new proposed top rate of income tax is actually +5% more than it was in 12 of the the 13 years of New Labour. How short people's memories are.......were Broon and Darling helping "the rich" during those 12 years then?

Isn't it amazing to consider that the new proposed top rate of income tax is actually +5% more than it was in 12 of the the 13 years of New Labour. How short people's memories are.......was Broon and Darling helping the rich during those 12 years then?

Spot on BB. Another fine example of political hypocracy.The cardinal needs a kick up the cassock.There aren't other examples of short-memory syndrome within the catholic church are there?

Anyone who's ever visited the Vatican museum, or even some of the cathedrals around the world will know that, if the kind of Christian charity they self-righteously espouse was genuine, they could virtually solve poverty with very little effort.

Will never happen. While people are poor, they need to church to offer them aid (and swell the number of the faithful). Take away povety, and the church...well they lose out all round.

Isn't it amazing to consider that the new proposed top rate of income tax is actually +5% more than it was in 12 of the the 13 years of New Labour. How short people's memories are.......were Broon and Darling helping "the rich" during those 12 years then?

It seems to me that far too many folks approach this issue from completely the wrong end of the scale.

Take the rise in VAT for example from 18% to 20%. Now if you have disposable income i.e. money you could save after funding your already comfortable lifestyle then you can easily cope with that modest rise in VAT. If you have NO disposable income then that rise in VAT means having to make sacrifices. So those who have the least end up with even less.

Now Osborne, Cameron and Turncoat Cleggy claimed it was a progressive tax and the Institute for Fiscal Studies went on to prove the three of them were talking complete and utter bollocks and it was actually regressive. Aunty Beeb's take http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-12111507

One measure of a society's worth is how well it cares for the least fortunate in that society. Osborne and Cameron don't give a stuff about the least fortunate as they don't tend to vote tory. So the church is right to speak out on their behalf. It's not exactly "news" either. The appalling Thatcher was equally criticised by the C of E that her policies had contributed to "severe and increasing deprivation" in inner cities. Her response was "They don't vote tory so fuck 'em!". Sound familiar? It should...

Anyone who's ever visited the Vatican museum, or even some of the cathedrals around the world will know that, if the kind of Christian charity they self-righteously espouse was genuine, they could virtually solve poverty with very little effort.

Will never happen. While people are poor, they need to church to offer them aid (and swell the number of the faithful). Take away povety, and the church...well they lose out all round.

I must be going mad as yet again I agree with an MDO post on here.

Access to the Vatican archives deep underground would be fascinating. However it would probably mean the end to the Roman Catholic church so they'll never see the light of day.

I seem to remember reading they have substantial investments in Shell, Microsoft and the other big hitters. If the Catholic Church was to liquidate their assets it would be an almost unfathomable amount of money.

But they still ask the man on the street to put their hand in their pocket for the causes they created.

PK If I had a UK vote, it definitely wouldn't be a tory vote and I agree with your general points but I'd forgotten how childish labour's opposition was. The granny tax, the pasty tax, how much is a pint of milk, posh public school boys etc etc. They've even wheeled the Beast of Bolsolver out again who Blair muzzled for more than a decade. It's pathetic.

There are indeed a lot of people struggling and most of them are working on shite money having to travel miles to get to work but the cheek of the church passing comment really is a bit much. No solutions, just criticism. Anyone can do that!

PK If I had a UK vote, it definitely wouldn't be a tory vote and I agree with your general points but I'd forgotten how childish labour's opposition was. The granny tax, the pasty tax, how much is a pint of milk, posh public school boys etc etc. They've even wheeled the Beast of Bolsolver out again who Blair muzzled for more than a decade. It's pathetic.

There are indeed a lot of people struggling and most of them are working on shite money having to travel miles to get to work but the cheek of the church passing comment really is a bit much. No solutions, just criticism. Anyone can do that!

Sure anyone can criticise. But coming from those whose stance is always going to be one of compassion for the disadvantaged it carries a lot more weight than just some jobsworth politician. And by the way they're not there to formulate policy. Their job is to care for our souls rather than our bank balances.

Most folks view Ed Miliband as a bit of a lightweight who carries the TUC on his shoulders. I'm one of those and I suspect the TUC will quickly regret, if not already, putting him in charge.

By now this coalition government should have been completely shredded by a half-decent opposition. They haven't been and their arrogance around issues like the current furore over Hunt shows how they know the current opposition are going to struggle to put them under any kind of real pressure.

Dark days indeed for the disadvantaged in our society. I mean, who else is there who can speak up for them?

Archived