Guild At The Villa

Gekko

I went to watch the school choirs on Saturday morning at the guild. It started at 9 and frankly I (and probably most of the adults there) could have done with a strong cup of coffee, but no, the snack bar (or whatever they call it) was shut! It must be one of the busiest weekends at the Villa and they don't have the shop open, instead they have a few nasty vending machines. Why?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody Guild. :-( Brings back memories of, eg, being entrant number 96 out of 205 for the 12 and under 14 singing solo. (We're talking about everyone singing the SAME song here.) So incredibly boring......Would never put my own kids through it.....

It's different now each child is preceeded by a VT about how they're doing it for their dead hamster who was the only one who believed in them. The kids are required to sing every note in the scale plus a few extras in every line.

The judges sit with their backs to the singers and spin around after the song's finished to below "you rawk" and declare each singer better than Elvis, Maria Callas and the sirens of Greek legend all of whom the judge knew personally.

Marks are deducted for conveying what the song's about and for displaying any emotion other than hysterical anger or frenzied heartbreak.

The contest is judged primarily on volume but bonus points are available to those who look like nutters but sound like car alarms angels.

1974, I won my class!

Well, if we're bragging, I won mine too in 1976 - violin solo, and solo singing in Manx - LOL.

What was yours for?

It was 1974 (possibly 1973), two of us playing clarinet with piano accompaniment. While clearing out my mother's house I found the certificate, what's even more surprising we beat two of Edgar Mann's daughters who were cracking musicians.

I went to watch the school choirs on Saturday morning at the guild. It started at 9 and frankly I (and probably most of the adults there) could have done with a strong cup of coffee, but no, the snack bar (or whatever they call it) was shut! It must be one of the busiest weekends at the Villa and they don't have the shop open, instead they have a few nasty vending machines. Why?

That's pretty much perma-shut now for cost cutting reasons. If you notice, the coffee machines and stuff are gone.

The guild run their own catering, you could get a coffee or drinks downstairs for cheaper than the vending machines.

On the subject of the guild, I heard this may be the last time the event's run because they can no longer afford the charges for the Villa. I think it's a real shame that the villa charge them so much cash for rooms that would normally be sat empty during the week. Be a shame to lose this event that means so much to our kids.

Gilly, that sounds like you were entered into a shit boring class. They're not all like that. My kids have really enjoyed the guild again this year, particularly the band/ensemble performances.

It's a bit cliquey, same old people, same old songs, same old, same old. I used to like the folk song class but that's full of failed opera singers (theres one woman enters all the singing classes - I suppose it's like skittles, you've gotta get one down...innit?). I won the bible reading in Manx, a spoken vocal ensemble thing and something else - tidy little £5.50 all in. :) It's a bit naff but the people who go in it love it, the people who go to see it, love it and it's as old as the hills themselves

It's a bit cliquey, same old people, same old songs, same old, same old. I used to like the folk song class but that's full of failed opera singers (theres one woman enters all the singing classes - I suppose it's like skittles, you've gotta get one down...innit?).

Maybe she just likes the chance to perform. I don't like the competition aspect of the Guild, particularly as so many of the judging decisions seem so bizarre. But performance is a major part of being musical, so I can fully understand multiple class entries. Who cares if they win or not? And I would attend the Guild for the quality of the piano accompanists alone - they are ace. And I mean all of them.

I won the bible reading in Manx, a spoken vocal ensemble thing and something else - tidy little £5.50 all in. smile.png

They're about the only classes I wouldn't bother attending...... ; )) Bible reading in Manx? It's a pity that clashes with the Foxdale Paint Drying Regional Heats. Otherwise I might make the effort.......

On the subject of the guild, I heard this may be the last time the event's run because they can no longer afford the charges for the Villa. I think it's a real shame that the villa charge them so much cash for rooms that would normally be sat empty during the week. Be a shame to lose this event that means so much to our kids.Gilly, that sounds like you were entered into a shit boring class. They're not all like that. My kids have really enjoyed the guild again this year, particularly the band/ensemble performances.

Maybe it's time to go back to the smaller Eistedfodds which used to be held in the church halls when I was little. They were quite fun.

I still remember the horror of having to play the grand piano on the stage in the Villa main hall and completely cocking up a Beethoven piece I knew inside out. Fortunately after that, my mother stopped entering me into every bloody class so it had a happy outcome!

Maybe it's time to go back to the smaller Eistedfodds which used to be held in the church halls when I was little. They were quite fun.

I still remember the horror of having to play the grand piano on the stage in the Villa main hall and completely cocking up a Beethoven piece I knew inside out! Fortunately after that, my mother stopped entering me into every bloody class so it had a happy outcome!

I think it could certainly be split a bit and run at a cheaper venue. There's nobody watching the piano stuff going on these last two days, so that's really a waste of a hall when a room with the competitors, their parents and a judge would be fine. The brass solo's and ensembles and their fans could probably fit into the arcade although the govt would probably rip them off to rent that unused space too...

I won the bible reading in Manx, a spoken vocal ensemble thing and something else - tidy little £5.50 all in. smile.png

They're about the only classes I wouldn't bother attending...... ; )) Bible reading in Manx? It's a pity that clashes with the Foxdale Paint Drying Regional Heats. Otherwise I might make the effort.......

I'm sorry you feel so badly about the classes I won......... it was over 20 years ago so I'll forgive you & save myself from suicide.

I agree with you about the accompanists, one of them is our old piano teacher, she's top class at everything, playing, teaching, mentoring etc etc - generally annoyingly ace and lovely with it.

How was it when the Villa was being refurbished? They used lots of smaller venues then.

I was in those singing ones when I was 10, with hundreds of people singing the same song. Got 3rd though, pinnacle of my career!

Also love Songs from the Shows, won't be going this year.

Archived