Latest Argentine "middle Finger" To The Uk And The Falklands

Then why the talk of 'getting their arses handed to them'? I think British forces in the Falklands act as a deterrence then there would be no arses to hand to them and no issue. I think you are getting a little excited over the subject.

Not excited at all.

Having been to the Falklands, and walked the battlefields there and spoke to people who were there for the conflict, I'd rather there wasn't a conflict.

I'm just confused as to what Argentina is trying to achieve, other than making complete tits of themselves (and Sean Penn) on the international stage.

Then why the talk of 'getting their arses handed to them'? I think British forces in the Falklands act as a deterrence then there would be no arses to hand to them and no issue. I think you are getting a little excited over the subject.

Not excited at all.

Having been to the Falklands, and walked the battlefields there and spoke to people who were there for the conflict, I'd rather there wasn't a conflict.

I'm just confused as to what Argentina is trying to achieve, other than making complete tits of themselves (and Sean Penn) on the international stage.

Keeps the economic crisis/Fukishima crisis off the front pages of that country I suppose. Keeps the Argies distracted with a little military propaganda.

Doubtful. There is no need to whip up such stories for the sake of diverting attention from the economic crisis. This isn't much interest in the ongoing crises anyway. I think you look at the role at the role of the media in diverting attention in the wrong manner by focusing on singular episodes to move attention away from overall matters of long-lasting significance of importance.

The media isn't going to operate in such a way that whenever something comes up of real importance to the populace its decides to plug a story that appeal to nationalism, celeb attention, or sport. These interests already exist and the media responds to them and thus create a mutual reinforcing maintenance of particular interests. Very little work is needed by the media.

Archived