China Vs Philippines - Scarborough Shoal Dispute

Amadeus

Bit of an interesting dispute going on here at the moment, with China and the Philippines arguing over disputed territory in the South China Sea called Scarborough Shoal. It's only a few rocks but both sides claim it and there's no love lost for the big neighbour here at the moment.

China warns Philippines on 'mistakes' in maritime spat

China denies preparing war over South China Sea shoal

Bit of a protest going on at the Chinese embassy here in Makati the other day:

th_China-Embassy-Philippines-Scarborough-Shoal-Protest-Manila-Makati-09.jpgth_China-Embassy-Philippines-Scarborough-Shoal-Protest-Manila-Makati-08.jpg

th_China-Embassy-Philippines-Scarborough-Shoal-Protest-Manila-Makati-06.jpgth_China-Embassy-Philippines-Scarborough-Shoal-Protest-Manila-Makati-05.jpg

th_China-Embassy-Philippines-Scarborough-Shoal-Protest-Manila-Makati-04.jpgth_China-Embassy-Philippines-Scarborough-Shoal-Protest-Manila-Makati-01.jpg

th_China-Embassy-Philippines-Scarborough-Shoal-Protest-Manila-Makati-03.jpgth_China-Embassy-Philippines-Scarborough-Shoal-Protest-Manila-Makati-02.jpg

What perplexes me, and maybe someone with more background knowledge can explain that to me, is the vast territory China claims is theirs - the big, red U-Shaped area on the BBC map. What is that claim based on, because it reaches well and far away from China and really close to some of its neighbours, which is bound to cause tensions?

If China was to flex its muscles, there's nothing the Philippines could do - their biggest warship is a 45 year old US coastgurd cutter they got as a gift from Uncle Sam a while ago - and that Uncle is also the one they are looking towards in this dispute, as the Philippines have a defence treaty with the big one across the water:

DFA chief clarifies US support under Mutual Defense Treaty

9. During the question and answer session in the same media event, Secretary Clinton was asked by a correspondent from ABS-CBN this question: “What will America do if China attacks Filipino forces in the Spratly Islands?” Secretary Clinton’s reply was: “Well, as to your first question, the United States honors our Mutual Defense Treaty and our strategic alliance with the Philippines. I’m not going to discuss hypothetical events, but I want to underscore our commitment to the defense of the Philippines.” (Source: “Remarks with Philippines Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario After Their Meeting,” Washington, D.C., June 23, 2011)

So, this could sort-of turn into a China vs USA thing, which isn't really a nice thought ermm.gif

It's something I am following closely Amadeus.

The newspapers in China say all the islands etc in the bulge belong to them for historical reasons. Have a look here:

http://www.chinadail...nt_15264429.htm

The China daily mobile app is good for keeping up with the news from the Chinese perspective. Well, the Chinese Government's perspective anyway...

Edit to add:

The Chinese claim to the area seems similar to the UK claim to the Falklands. Sort of put's me in a tricky situation if I try to discuss the dispute with Chinese friends. Basically, their claim is "We found the Islands first".

The US would still comfortably kick China's arse at any distance from the Chinese mainland (a situation that is strangely appropriate for these circumstances, as if they really were in Chinese waters I'm not sure that the US would enjoy the same advantage).

For how much longer though?

I can't see this becoming an armed conflict between the PRC and the USA.

I am more worried about the political implications. China have already stopped Chinese tour groups from travelling to the Philippines.

And, China could destroy the American economy in a matter of days by dumping it's American investments. But China would also lose out big style in that scenario.

I can't see this becoming an armed conflict between the PRC and the USA.

I am more worried about the political implications. China have already stopped Chinese tour groups from travelling to the Philippines.

And, China could destroy the American economy in a matter of days by dumping it's American investments. But China would also lose out big style in that scenario.

China is very cleverly using all it's dollars to buy physical gold, circumventing the collapse which would occur from dumping them. It's interesing to watch the cartel in Wall Street/City of London running around desperately trying to keep the price down by dumping paper gold onto the market. China would be wise to continue to use stealth as a means of offense as opposed to petty territorial disputes.

Archived